Sunday, April 5, 2020

Poem Page - including poem about Michael's Coffee, a new wonder of the world


Woke up with a dry throat. Knew immediately what to do. Heated up that delicious coffee from Iris I drank yesterday.

Ach! It's already cooled to lukewarm.

....

STROKE

This must be what's called
"Having a stroke."

Scott and I are driving
in my car. I point out
the window at the expensive
new housing development
and attempt to say
Toll Brothers.

Instead of words
coming out, silly words
emerge, Jabborwocky.
What the hell's going on?

We drive to the hospital
not far away. By then my
speech has returned but
I remain overnight.

Bayer Aspirin every morning
to keep the jibberish away.

***

OUTRAGE

A mental health advocate,
I've published dozens
of Guest Columns in
the Intelligencer of
Doylestown.

The new editor despises me.
"We get hundreds of ideas
for guest columns, why should
we publish you?"

My columns are beautifully
written, not even a period
is ever changed.

Shane! Shane F********!

May the saints of Ireland
wake you up with snakes
twisting in your bed.

***

IMPULSE PURCHASES

Tic-Tacs, Orbit Gum,
chewy Beef Jerky.

What's a huge Hershey Bar
with Almonds doing on the
rack near the National Enquirer?

Stealthily, this diabetic
puts it in her cart, along
with my healthy foods.

Driving home, I tear off the
brown paper wrapping, and
munch on it while the raindrops
pound on my windshield.

Is it worth losing my eyesight,
or having my toes amputated to
satisfy a five-minute taste
extravaganza?

The windshield wipers
sigh.

TEENY TINY BUGS

First we check to make sure they're moving
I've found them on the floor in my kitchen
In an old Nancy Drew Book
Even in a tall water glass
Lord God and his servant Darwin
What you been thinkin?

While sitting here, I scratched my head.
What did I find?
A goddamn tic!

Scott and I walked out back. Apparently a minefield
of tics.

I went outside and drowned it in a watering can outside
my front door.

....

Received today THE ADELAIDE LITERARY AWARD ANTHOLOGY
for 2019. My true story Letter to Stephen was published.

...
Taking a sip of my now cold coffee with the marvelous flavor.

MICHAEL'S SPECIAL BROWNIE COFFEE

View MichaelsCoffee.com

You are a wonder of the world
I sip you while imagining
The Colossus of Rhodes
The Lighthouse of Alexandria
The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
The Temple of Artemis
Statue of Zeus and
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon

Nothing can destroy your flavor.
Drinking now in my Harry and Meghan cup
You have been diluted dozens of times
Always adding hot water to preserve
the deep dark sweet flavor
Arabica, wilt thou be mine?







No comments:

Post a Comment