Monday, April 13, 2020

Poem for Freda and Bernie Samuels and more - Update on Mom


POEM FOR FREDA AND BERNIE SAMUELS

PART ONE

In these historic times
I listen to a Brahms Violin Concerto
on You Tube, which is untouched
by the virus
unlike you Bernie and I

He fought in the Navy in World War II
while you have fought many battles on
the homefront

Guiding your beloved Sharon - such a sensitive soul -
through losses immeasurable - how many people can
lovingly raise wild birds from daybreak to dawn?

Go now to your window and I will go to mine
I will throw out a kiss and perhaps it will
land in your glorious pad at Paul's Run.

PART TWO

Meeting you was among the Wonders of my Life
You read about me, Ruth Zali, in the newspaper and scooped
me up in your heart where you reside like a diamond.

We shall join forces, sing our Passover songs, and pray
to the Almighty.
We have so much to be grateful for -
the strength and power of our minds
the resilience of our spirits
that will get us through this 
once-in-a lifetime plague 
as we did in ancient times,
dayenu,
and burst outside in the sunshine
arms up in the air
victorious
victorious 
at last as we live
in everlasting peace.

...


When they lived in Warrington, I would visit often.

Freda had a way of saving her lettuce. She'd roll it up in a towel and it would stay for days.

Thanks! I will do dat!



Bernie is the best storyteller I've ever met.

...

Mom, 97, is doing well at Abington Hospital.

When they wheeled her in to do one of the procedures she began singing In My Easter Bonnet.

...

Scott came over a while ago, dressed to drive to SEPTA.

His kidney stones are better.

Told him when I wake up in the morning I always check out the window to see if his Wonder Bread white Honda is there.

...

That'll do it for me now.

Do something new and different.



Suddenly I'm fascinated with War books, probably bc we are at war with the virus.


No comments:

Post a Comment