Friday, April 24, 2020

I ZOOMED with my family - Poem: My Yellow House without You, Mom

Dan set me up with Zoom.

I commented on many things I saw, like, I remember when Daddy (Dan) painted those chairs in the back yard.

GG died, said Max.

I know, I said, she was my mother!

I'm sorry she died, said Max.

Dan told me earlier he cried a bit.

What do you remember about her, I asked.

She was nice, said Max, who was wearing his PJs, I believe.

I wouldn't be a very good jury witness, as you can see.

Grace also expressed condolences, and said she was nice.

They're 8 and 10, I believe.

I asked what hospital Max was born in.

Holy Redeemer, said Grace.

She made a comment about April 1 when Max was born. Mom-Mom, Barb Toohey, was in the background.

It was a very clever comment but I've forgotten what she said.

....

Helene Ryesky called earlier. She had received my note that Mom had died. Helene is 91 born January 29, 1929.

Anyway her nephew Jerry flew to California but can't come to see her bc of the coronavirus. He did send her some See's Candies.

I was very familiar with them since I lived in San Fran for awhile.

Was secretary to D.W. Garrett.

Never had the nerve to ask what the initials stood for. We met in the towering Bank of America Bldg. I used to go on the roof and smoke pot with a few friends.

My friend DaNa Singchai was secretary to AA Goggins. He had lost favor in the eyes of Cal-Tech so he left after lunch every day and returned the next day.

She and I always laffed about this.
....

Grace is still playing the slide trombone.



THE YELLOW HOUSE WITHOUT YOU

Thanks again, Mom, for buying me
my beautiful yellow house. For
as long as I'm here it also
belongs to you.

Purple lilacs bud now in the back yard
I planted them just so, so the aroma
could drift in through the window
over the kitchen sink and when
the door of the deck is wide open.

What a powerful smell!

In the front yard,
white fluffs like tiny
white suns have risen again
like the resurrection
their scent, subtle
as a powder puff

Pink peonies know their place
on the side of the house
what joy they give me
as they pop their sweet heads
above ground in early spring

My yard is a glory to behold
Mom and it's your land too
Is that Mrs Kultti putting
lotion on her hands and
playing our song?

No comments:

Post a Comment