Thursday, June 10, 2021

THE WATCHER

 

ONE LAST FLING FOR THE EVENING

Standing at front door in Harriet's shortie nightgown

I watched a soaring firefly mount - and that's the right word -

High above Nancy's house

No, I mean really really high

My solar lights were off

And a light drowse of summer heat

Reminded me of jars of dead fireflies and dried stalks of grass

Ya know, the holes punctured by Dad on top

Then they started coming home. The white truck which flew down the street

The birds were chirping now

I watched way down the street as he backed into his space

I ran into the kitchen to see if more fireflies were in the back yard

by Keystone Screw, nope,

Hours earlier I had looked out my bedroom window to

sheer nothingness. I swear to God, not a single light was on

It was like a mouthful of teeth, all knocked out by Rocky Balboa

I shook my head at the nothingness

What on earth was I to make of that? 

- Ruth Z Deming

No comments:

Post a Comment