Saturday, September 12, 2020

Remembrances of 9/11 - the 19th anniversary - Be Bold and Circle the Sky

 Friday, 9/11, was the 19th anniversary of the Terrorist Attacks in New York City, Schwenksville, PA, and the US Capitol Building.

The Statue of Liberty stands as smoke billows from the World Trade Center in New York, Tuesday, Sept 11, 2001 after terrorists crashed two hijacked airliners into the World Trade Center and brought down the twin 110-story towers. (AP Photo/Stuart Ramson)

One of hundreds of famous photos of NY City. From PennLive.

Are you old enough to remember where you were on this terrible day?

I was living here in my yellow house. My son Daniel lived downstairs on the lower level. Sarah lived in Brooklyn. 

At the time I had bipolar disorder. 

I was in the living room when I heard a knock on the door.

Oh no. They're coming to get me. Where can I hide? Under the bed, in the closet? As a Jew they will catch me

At the time we had no idea the Jews had been targeted.

Most Jews believe the world is a safer place for Jews since the Holocaust, but we know that there will always be antisemitism.

... 

Who was at the door?

The Jehovah's Witnesses!

There were three of them, two Blacks and one white guy.

I stepped gingerly out the door so they wouldn't get my son, Dan.

Then I told them about The Twin Towers in New York.

They were shocked.

I went inside and called downstairs to Dan and asked him to come upstairs.

Dan, I said, the Twin Towers in NY City have been blown up. It's on Channel 3 NOW.

Mom, he said, it will be on all the channels.

We sat together on the couch.

Usually he never lets me get near him.

Dan, I said, could you please give me a hug.

He did.

...

I was asleep just now on Red Couch, having finished watching an excellent film Live for Today with Claudette Colbert and a thin Orson Welles. 

Star Child: Natalie Wood | Lisa's History Room

Natalie Wood starred in the film. She spoke both German and English and was excellent. Today we know she drowned. 

Here they make her to look like a little Aryan girl.

...

When the film was over, YouTube went directly into anudder film. Enough! I shut the laptop and prayed Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

Then I came upstairs with a cuppa pumpkin spice tea from Harney and Sons I bought a couple yrs ago at the Giant Supermarket, when Black women worked there. I wrote poems for Ms Adryn and Keisha. 

...

I wanted to start my short story for Saturday. I had an idea and now, w/o further ado, I will begin, on another screen.

First tho, read my fascinating account of 9/11, I'd wrin on an earlier blog.

Click here

In my diaries, I like to end with something inspirational.

BE BOLD, DIFFERENT, AND CIRCLE THE SKY.


No comments:

Post a Comment