Sunday, September 6, 2020

Mike, sorry you had to die so young - 62 yrs old - POEM: Ford Falcon

C'est moi, RZD, up in the middle of the night. When I saw the date, September 6, I remembered this is the birthday of Millard Grove Deming, my ex-husband, and father of my two children, Sarah and Dan.

I haven't a single photo of Mike, nor do I want any.

Mike died in 2009 at age 62. 

What shall I do to remember him?

I am so tempted to delete this post.

We met in New Hope, PA, where he was visiting his half sister Lynette Heap. He drove a green stick-shift Falcon. I knew how to drive a 'stick' when I lived in San Francisco and drove my friend Carolyn's Oldsmobile. Very slowly. 

Mike should not be dead, but fate intervened and killed him.

I lived with him in Austin TX at Married Student Housing where Sarah was born.

University Apartments | University Housing and Dining | The University of  Texas at Austin

Mike graduated from Rice University at the top of his class. 

During our 5 yr marriage I was very supportive of Mike and tried to make our marriage work. 

FORD FALCON

We bumped along in your car

I was a nervous wreck when you drove

We stopped one time in a farm field

as if we were in a Bergman film

and lay on the grass staring at the clouds

Is that where we fell in love?

Once we were grand together

made love and had our chance

at eternity. It never took. 

No comments:

Post a Comment