Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Reflections on Drinking Maxwell House Coffee - Poem: The Ecstasy of Washing my Face in Cold Water

 

Delicious, but I suppose you're wondering - and I would, too - if I drank it to the very last drop.

Thanks for asking, Dear Reader.

I poured the remainder in my Prince Harry and Meghan cup into a huge pot on my living room window sill where 

huge draconae clamber toward the ceiling.

Did I tell you what wonderful items were tossed out on Garbage Eve?

A fake plant like the one above AND

a marvelous COUCH that may have been from Gamburg's in Hatboro Town.

What I really wanted to do and shall do right now is write this poem.

WASHING MY FACE IN COLD WATER    

On this muggy evening when everything

is damp and sticky, I splash cold water

on my hot face. Instinctively I shiver

with utmost delight, Face becalm yourself.

...

Long ago when we lived in Shaker Heights, my cousin Mark drove us to the Heights Art Theatre and we watched Rita Tushingham in a Taste of Honey.

Image result for rita tushingham

She's now 78 yrs old. Looks like in the UK they don't get facial work like we do here in the States.

Mark's mother, Selma, is either 101 or 102. 

Selma is a young 92 here.

Love your polished nails, Selma!

Ready to finish up with a poem?

WE ARE NOT ALONE

Sipping on my peppermint tea
my mind reels with a
new revelation.

We know that the Lenni-Lenape
lived on these grounds hundreds
of years ago

When we've all gone to Mars
archeologists will one day
find their graves, many
dead of small pox, and
their kitchen middens
with the hardened remains
of their pipe-smoking pow-wows.
How they loved to eat, like
we do.

Pemmican, their junk food.

You've heard of Punxatawny
Phil. Ground hog towns
are laid out six feet
below us. When I go outside
to the compost heap, they
hear my footfalls in their
sleep, dreaming of
the leafy spring and
surcease of freezing
weather and how delicious
my brown egg shells,
lemon rinds and gizzards are.

...

Oh, my aching tush!

Was on my way to bed. My mom/law Natalie gave Scott a bag o books for me. I chose to read tonight A CONCISE HISTORY OF ISRAEL, A NATION REBORN by Daniel Gordis. 

Infinitely delightful for me is to inscribe in pen the copyright date.

2016

C'est ca! 

No comments:

Post a Comment