Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Katydid thrills me tho I am taken by surprise - Poem: Garbage Eve



GARBAGE EVE!!!

Bob across the street is busy with his chainsaw chopping the humongous branch that flew onto his driveway, though he moved it to Nancy's lawn.

I should call her to commiserate.

Went to Scott's but he was fast asleep so I came home.

And what should I see?


A katydid on the stone in front of my house.

It was making a rocking motion, back n forth, back n forth.

Wrote a letter to Nancy Wolen, my childhood friend from Shaker Heights.

Good god. That was in another lifetime.

GARBAGE EVE

In the yellow plastic bin
I dropped with a mighty thud
two boxes of blue hair dye
too much trouble to figure out
what to do with them
unless... unless...

In the stalwart gray bin
go a tuna fish packet
stapled closed to keep
out the maggots

Detritus from the upstairs
and downstairs bathrooms
fistfulls of grey hairs
wonder who those are?

And ideas germinating
for months and months
Press publish and they
shall appear as novels
tantamount to
Inspector Maigret!

...

Spoke to HAR earlier today.
She calls the peanut butter
they feed her at the home:
Car grease. Many are bored or discouraged at Manatawney Manor.

Read some detective novels, I suggested, coming up with Josephine Tey and John D MacDonald.

When I was a kid "Josie" was my favorite girl's name. 

....

Sent New Directions folks an email alert. Asked people WHAT WOULD YOU DO if there was no pandemic going on.

Here's my response.

I'd call up Helene Ryesky and invite myself over for breakfast at her house on Bauman Drive, in Maple Glen, PA.

She'd open up a drawer filled with coffee cups and ask me to choose one.


Aaron would be sitting at the kitchen table, having finished breakfast, and doing either a crossword puzzle or a jigsaw puzzle.

These are brilliant people. I said that to Helene this morning. 

Danish modern furniture was in the dining room, along with Helene's many photos hung up on the wall. 

A many-shelved case was filled with African violets. She was a collector.

She would clean mites off them with a Q-tip and alcohol.


Believe it or not, this red headed woodpecker just flew onto my maple tree.

I did not tell HAR that I have delicious peanut butter from Nature's Harvest, organic. Ate it this morning in my Ralston Purina.

What's my next brilliant idea? 

Write and lemme know. RuthDeming at comcast.net

Chris Kluwe of the Minnesota Vikings
Look at this magnificent specimen of a man.

May be too big to show up. From Inside Hook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment