Thursday, August 6, 2020

Leon Fleisher, pianist, dead at 92 - Reading "Golden in Death" on Scott's front porch - Poem: My Essentials

Every Thursday my Times Chronicle arrives in my driveway. What a thrill I feel, as I walk outside to pick it up, and free it from its rubber band. Since it takes me an entire week to read it, I decided today, which is Thursday, garbage day, to skim the paper, spread out on my beige berber carpet. 



And you mustn't worry about getting newsprint on the carpet. 

The Upper Moreland Library sent me a notice telling me that my library books were almost due. All could be renewed except one: J D Robb's "Golden in Death."

Should I read it?

Here's how it begins:
Dr. Kent Abner began the day of his death comfortable and content. 
Following the habit of his day off, he kissed his husband of thirty-seven
years off to work, then settled down in his robe with another cup of coffee,
a crossword challenge on his PPC, and Mozart's The Magic Flute on his
entertainment unit.
 I was hooked and decided to try and finish it. Otherwise, I would be fined.

It's a hefty book, best read sitting up, as on Scott's front porch bench, but when I go upstairs, I lay down and put it on my chest.

...

For dinner, I made delicious pea soup and had two bowls. The sound of the peas in the metal colander is quite something. Ping ting ting!

Added whole pecans to give it more protein. In addition to the peas, I added garlic and loads of onions. 

...

GREETING CARDS FOR TODAY

I gathered up my greeting cards like a poker player his hand. Intense thought is required to decide WHO to send it to AND what to write.

I found a wild and rowdy card that was actually fashioned by artist Alexander Calder. That would be for Helene Ryesky. 

Calder is famous for his mobiles.

I use up every bit of space on the card. 

One of my great day trips involved seeing glorious sculptures including Calder.

Also sent neighbor Patrick a card thanking him for his Cowbell Honey.  
 
...

Ethan Iverson mentioned the death of pianist Leon Fleisher at age 92. A child prodigy, he had a surprising life which included the inability to play the piano with his right hand.

Imagine how awful he felt. Nonetheless he used his musical knowledge well and taught students. He was also a protigee of George Szell of The Cleveland Orchestra.

Once I had so many records by Szell. 

Imagine if I kept every single thing I once owned. I'd have to rent a storage unit. 

 


Have I mentioned that CROWS seem to be gone. On Scott's bench I thought I heard them. And had an idea where the murder of crows had gone.

For a short story on Saturday?

Our Beatriz has a cough, so won't be presiding over the group. She hopes it ain't the Covid-19.

Would you mind if I noshed on some pretzels?

You KNOW what an essential worker is in these days of the pandemic. Scott is one and so are postmen. I had to run after Mailman Sean today.

He was wearing earrings!

They look great, I said. A friend of his had gotten them at a shop in Southampton, PA, so he followed suit. 

MY ESSENTIALS

My light-up Bulova clock in my bedroom
Hand towels from Mom in upstairs bathroom
only because they are so damn adorable and
remind me of Mom

Whirring fans wher-ere I sit to cool off my
extremities

Dozens of new fashions from sister Lynn
a lemon yellow beach robe
a sequin-filled blue jazzy dress

A powder blue mask to contain 
droplets from all comers and myself too

Fauci tells us the viruses will never end
but we can live long and healthy lives.    




No comments:

Post a Comment