Friday, August 28, 2020

Poem: My Heart is Aching for Pennypack Trust

After Scott brought me my breakfast from Willow Grove PA Giant Supermarket, we decided to visit Pennypack Trust.

We'll go now before it gets too hot.

Believe me, it was hot!

My leg muscles have that good feeling of walking up hills.

Pennypack Ecological Restoration Trust - Home | Facebook

Romantic picture of Pennypack from their website.

MY HEART IS ACHING FOR PENNYPACK TRUST


Like spurs on a railroad track

Pennypack Trust has many paths you can take


On this hot Indian Summer Day, we got in

Scott's coconut-white Honda Fit

and drove to The Lord's New Church.


With my diabetes mellitus, I ate

like a wedding guest so I wouldn't

go low and pass out like Floyd Patterson

fighting Sonny Liston.


Hot twas like in Arizona but we struck out

like miners and couldna believe what we saw!


Purple thistle - with stingers - visited by

golden finches - look at them sailing away


A graveyard we'd never visited before

Six tombstones poking up on the burnt grass

"All the world's a stage," wrote an 86-yo

woman gone to the world beyond


Riding over a small hard-to-see bump

My water glass splashed and made a commotion

soaking Scott's dashboard


I walked on the Walt Whitman green grass

Silence spanned our walk

as wide-winged hawks soared

above watching for prey


Scott and I dwell with the living.

Best friends and sometime room-mates

We live side by side

like the mulberry and pine trees

detesting the liar bragadoccio president. 


Red-tailed Hawk Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology


No comments:

Post a Comment