Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Freda Rose Samuels is home from the rehab and the hospital - Books define the world - People Define my World

Bob Walmsley and his construction guys were making such a racket I couldn't hear myself think. But I had to learn how Freda Samuels is doing.

Here she is at her former home. 

Outside I went, phone in hand.

She actually answered the phone!

What an ordeal she's been through.

Can't remember the name of her problem but she has water in her heart. Is that right? I believe so. She has to measure every ounce of water she drinks. And she is terribly thirsty.

"Freda, it is so good to hear your voice. You sound so strong."

"I love you, Ruthie, you are precious to me," she said.

She lives at Paul's Run in Philadelphia. 

Liberty Lutheran Services - Paul's Run Retirement Community ...

I told her I was spending a fortune to fix up my house. 

"Good for you," she said. "You deserve it."

I promised to visit her.

Los Angeles Helicopter Tours - LA Helicopter Tour Rides, Charters

Will send her a card tomorrow!

...

There is no sound on my downstairs laptop.

Asked Scott to put on a mask, come over and see if he could fix it.

As I was watching the PBS Nightly News with Judy Woodruff, he clumb up the steps with his mask on and said he couldna fix it.

Thanks for trying, I said.

Darn! Darn! Darn!

Then I ran downstairs so I could wave goodbye to him, but he had gone.

A nice ritual that began when I did an Art Matters interview with the late Sam Maitin.

Sam Maitin's prints at Woodmere Art Museum | Broad Street Review

...

So I watch movies and such upstairs here in my office. 

...

I am hooked on a few books.

WEATHER by Jenny Offill is fun to read.

Jenny Offill's Weather Is a Doomsday Novel We Can Relate to | Time

Discrete paragraphs that make it easy to comprehend.

...

ACTRESS by Anne Enright.

Actress: A Novel - Kindle edition by Enright, Anne. Literature ...

Told you about this yesterday.

Can't remember a thing about it.

...

POEM: BOOKS DEFINE THE WORLD

Dear Reader, between you and me, I have no idea

what I mean by this, but we will come up with

something. Books make it okay to be ourselves,

to be different, to be gay, miserable, filled with

jealousy, like Snow White's stepmother, we may

develop a love of nature, of statuesque trees that

tower to the top of the forest floor, we may terrify

ourselves when we read early Christian books

like The Robe or Quo Vadis and find what it's

like being a martyr. And then, if we're ever

in that spot, we may reach inward for unexpected

courage and belief.

A simple walk in the Willow Grove mall

turned into a betrayal of pain until I got home

and finally to the hospital. 

...

Whilst filling up my tiny snack bowl, I glanced out the kitchen window. There was Patrick, striding up the street, arms akimbo, saluting hello to one of his neighbors. His wife, Sue, looked like a skinny little boy. Up close, she is a soft-spoken beauty, her dark hair falling to her shoulders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment