Sunday, July 19, 2020

Not anudder LO ! Poem: Hand Towels and Sue




Said goodbye to Scott who was driving to SEPTA and then I walked in the heat to a couple of houses, thinking, Get thee in the house, ain't no good for man or beast.

You can do it, I said, as I walked along.

Took blood sugar at home and was shocked to learn it was 47 so I chewed the tabs and then began eating pretzels which I'm doing now bc I wanna write two poems.

MOM'S HAND TOWELS

These Cleveland Jews
had a sense of class
down to the smallest details

She must have bought the hand towels
but from where I do not know

She's not here so I can't ask her.
Little beauties, one is pumpkin orange
the other robin's egg blue, they
sit side by side on the upstairs
bathroom rack, smiling at the guests
who use them. That would be one person
me.

***

Talking of beauty there's one young woman on our block who is quite lovely. Married, with two children, and Sydney the dog, I present to you...

S U E

The simple name lets us see how beauty is quite simple
if you've got it.
Are you made beautiful by life and at her age, 50, I'd guess, she's had
the usual ups and downs that accompany the journey of life.

A marvel to behold, she steps lively on the sidewalk
shoulder length hair tousling behind
as if going for a ride at the fair grounds.
Our Sue, I would think, knows nothing
absolutely nothing of what's she got.



Mary Cassatt  Mother and Child
1844 - 1926

No comments:

Post a Comment