Monday, July 13, 2020

July 13 is an important date - Lantern Fly loves our houses - Golden Age of Comic Books - Poem Forgotten





It's official. I confirmed it with next door neighbor Stacey Adams. The lantern flies drown in her pool and then they filter them out.

They have hundreds. Terrible problem. Read about them here.

What's the lure about my wooden mail box?

....

Originally I was gonna write about COMIC BOOKS and other wonderful inventions for kids and fun-lovin folks like meself.

Now I grew up in Cleveland where we once had two newspapers.

The Plain Dealer
The Evening Bulletin

Uncle Marvin was a salesman at the Plain Dealer.

NEWS ALERT FROM SISTER LYNN

Today  is 40 years without our wonderful Dad❤️🙏🏻

You said it, Lynn!

...
He would wear his WHAT ME WORRY T-SHIRT 
FROM MAD MAGAZINE.



Alfred E Newman

OKAY OKAY, hold it kids. We're just getting started. I sure liked that bigger font ya used.

I was a dues-paying member of THE COOKIE CLUB in the Bulletin. Periodically I'd get mailings with coupons.

THE NAME SMILIN JACK MARTIN CAME TO ME, like Athena popping full-blown from the head of Zeus.

Read about this aviation pioneer hereSmilinjackhead.jpg

My favorite was



Wait a sec! Is that Lothar?

My dad wouldn't let us buy comic books, but somehow I managed.



1949-1961

...

AGES AGO I would drive my son Daniel Paul Deming to North Wales, PA, I believe, where there was a great comic book store.

He'd run inside while I parked illegally as there was no where to park.

There was a Radiator Man, made out of wire.

SANDMAN was his fave comic book.



WHEW... I am so glad I thought of that.

When he moved into his own house, he brought all his comic books with him.

And he sold them.

Let's see how much they're worth today.

Oh no!  MARY WORTH was a comic book character.



Look! She's an older woman.

Well, that's about it for me. Wanna finish a very strange Netflix film called FORGOTTEN. It's about the Korean culture.

When I worked at Bristol Bensalem Human Services I would eat at a Korean restaurant where I would buy BENTO BOXES, filled with delicious items.



Thank you, I'd, say, but I'll have American utensils, please.

Oh, see the miso soup in the back right?

FORGOTTEN

So many people I've forgotten over the years,
Let's do the alphabet
Aunt Hilda
Bunny, a friend of Mom's
Caroline, another friend of Mom's who died at 92
they didn't wanna talk on the phone they were soooo tired
Donny, mom's brother
Eric Lynn, the man who gave us the dog Triscuit
Florence Greenberg who had schizophrenia and was put away
Gloria, our maid in Shaker Heights who came to Dad's funeral
Herschel, Rozzie's first husband, who died in flames
I Isador, who looked like Mussolini, though he was a Jewish dullard
J  Jack Weisberg, we assume is dead
K Kay Lokoff, Roberto's mother
L  Laurie Saltzman, elder daughter of the man who founded Bobbi Brooks, she had a large head and would smoke in the bathroom
M Maurie Saltzman, founder of Bobbi Brooks and wealthy benefactor
N  Norman, who took care of dad when he was dying
O  Orangutans in the Philadelphia Zoo, perished by fire
P   Peter Serkin, pianist. At Goddard, his son, Danny, was there.
Q   The wicked Queen who put Snow White in a trance
R    Robert Howard Lokoff. Was just thinkin about him today. His daughter Amy has tattoos.
S     Aunt Sophie, very homely but brilliant
T     Triscuit, our beloved dog Triscuit
U     Uncle Henry, Sophie's husband, who would hang out at the mall in Cleveland waiting to die
V      Viola Wike, my art teacher who liked me
W     Willie Mays, one of the true characters in the book Boys of Summer, which Scott returned for me today
X       Xavier Cugat with his swinging Latino rhythm
Y        Y chromosome, yahoo! here I come, you men you!
Z         Great Grandma Zali, hence my name Ruth Zali Greenwold Deming.

No comments:

Post a Comment