Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Finished THE BOYS OF SUMMER by Roger Kahn - Poem: I Saw a Cruelty Perpetrated from Scott's Bench



This is Roger Kahn, author of THE BOYS OF SUMMER. Finally finished the book as I sat on Scott's park bench under his covered porch.

It was published in March of 1972.

Was I at Goddard College then?  Or living in California?

Roger Kahn couldn't figure out what to call the book. An editor suggested The Team, a terrible name.

The name came to him The title of the book is taken from a Dylan Thomas poem that describes "the boys of summer in their ruin."

Before it was published Kahn had barely any money in his bank account. - 80 dollars. I can't find the dollar sign on my downstairs laptop.

Afterwards, he never had to worry about money again.

Kahn had a son who died of a heroin overdose, similar to his friend Jackie Robinson. 

We have had heroin addiction in my family.

I wrote a lovely poem about it, but doubt I could find it on demand.

Enjoyed my pea soup which I ate on Scott's porch.

Enriched with an egg for protein.

I did see cruelty perpetrated while I sat reading.

Colorful balloons appeared on Nancy's lawn, then blew onto Bob n Judy's lawn. A man and his two children were walking along and he said, Get away from them.

Why?

I SAW A CRUELTY PERPETRATED ON SCOTT'S BENCH

Children feel deeply, and learn from the ones they trust
Dad scoffed at colorful balloons blown by the soft winds of July
Get away from them
He pulled his little girl and little boy
Cruelty will dog them the rest of their days.

LISTEN TO ETHAN IVERSON'S TWEET HERE.

Turn up your speakers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment