Wednesday, March 2, 2022

New poem: The smell of burning flesh

 


YOU CAN READ MY NOVEL REDEMPTION OF PULASKI BELOW.

https://www.short-story.net/read/13339/redemption-of-pulaski/


THE SMELL OF BURNING FLESH


Every day I would brush my hair and put in fancy earrings

and drive to my part time job at the Adult Day Care Center


Lucky lucky me and I even got paid.


One time the boss called me over. Samoan, his long hair

was piled up in a bun atop his head. I stared and admired.

Kindly he fired me. 

Instead of doing it in private, I snuck out my Novolog needle 

and injected in my belly. Quickly, before they saw me.


My milky white abdomen looked like fresh meat before the ovens

at Birkenau.


Horrified at my own personal holocaust, I said goodbye

to half a dozen men and women - Dolly, Cleo, Fritzi and Ginger - except the two women I suspected 

had tattled, no, betrayed me like Bonhoeffer hanged naked

from the gallows in Germany.


As I drove for the last time down the driveway

windows open for freedom

past the bus that drove them to Walmart and the Dumpster

that held broken furniture


A huge grey garden pot blew free and

bumped its way down the driveway with me.

Kindly sharing my humiliation.


You will see it now smiling with

yellow mums, wildflowers from seed

and honeybees from a neighbor.


These small two winged creatures

will never know the death I still

suffer from Birkenwald.

No comments:

Post a Comment