Thursday, March 3, 2022

Letter to Editor of Times Chronicle - unpublished as I was too late

 What? Free doughnuts? Surely you gest.

At Angel's Donuts, in Hatboro, PA, patrons enjoy fastnachts, or pastries made from potato flour, a yearly tradition available on the first day of the Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

March first. 

My kind sister Ellen brought us four types of these treats and we sampled them in the kitchen with cups of tasty hot coffee.

Cut all the fastnachts in half, sit down, relax and enjoy.

Sampling is something my late friend Helene and I used to do.

Should you miss “fastnacht day” try making them yourself. That is what the Internet is for.

And, yes, I have diabetes. I walk around the hilly block here in Willow Grove which considerably lowers my sugar level. The robins seem to agree with me.

The crows simply scold me.

The crumb on these deep-fried treats is light as an Angel cake.

Please don’t tempt me anymore.

Life is good.

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined,” said Henry David Thoreau, author of “Walden Pond.”

One more fastnacht, please, and then I will stop.   

T H E   E N D

Helene, I still miss you wherever you are!



No comments:

Post a Comment