Thursday, October 1, 2020

What I do when I can't sleep - The majesty of trees

 What I really wanna do is GO TO BED! 

But I looked out the window of my bedroom - it's 3:27 am - and saw all these tall trees on my street, just as I did last night, and knew I must write about them. Their majesty!

First, though, I've been on my computer here in my upstairs office for several hours now. Was delighted to read my first blog posts, which you can read here. 

They are so damn good and my dear friend Rob Lokoff is on there. We went to a bar mitzvah where the people were so unfriendly, no one would have anything to do with us.


I think Rob and I were eating at MacDonald's. 

And, oh, I'd had episodes there at MacDonald's. 

...

A few things I looked up while noodling away the time was the Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad, a very bad man, who doesn't mind destroying his entire country just so he can stay in power, sounds like our own president, doesn't it.

...

Watched TV earlier tonight, terrible reception, tho I got outa bed and wiggled the wabbit ears. The topics I watched were the discovery of the printing press by Johannes Gutenberg. Each type font was shown. 


He owed a lotta money so he decided to publish something that folks would clamor to own.

1440
Goldsmith and inventor Johannes Gutenberg was a political exile from Mainz, Germany when he began experimenting with printing in Strasbourg, France in 1440. He returned to Mainz several years later and by 1450, had a printing machine perfected and ready to use commercially: The Gutenberg press

1454 Bible
...

So I'm looking into the dark night from my upstairs bedroom window. Way high up I see planets and constellations - Chris Trotter! - where ARE you when I wanna learn about them - hmmm, maybe I could email him.
The lights are off in every single house except for Carol Carr's, down the road, her husband dead of Alz disease, her Down syndrome son in a home of his own. But ya know what?
I think she is a happy woman. 
Earlier today, after reading on my back porch - I went into my huge back yard, totally overgrown like a jungle - I will have to pay someone, eventually, to clean it up - and I stood by my lone maple tree - there were three when I moved in - but now there is one tall giant maple and I put my hand on the bark and felt it.
Bark! Tough, thick. The outer skin of the tree. And I looked up up up at the tall tree, wondering what it would feel like if the entire tree were to fall on me.
Of course I'd be dead but in my fantasy I'd pretend I could crawl out. 

LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW IN THE DARK AT THE TREES ACROSS THE STREET
All you know how to do is grow
I realize now you communicate with other trees
And perhaps with the inhabitants you succor
You are the equivalent of an old and wise human being
Your leaves are your eyes
They wave and shake
They dance when it rains
You are beloved by honeybees, dogs, butterflies, an occasional rainbow
And especially by the neighbor, once a small girl, now all growed up
And glowing with pride that she perceives a tree 
The way she perceives eternity.
...
Now I've gotta find a good photo of a tree. Hmmm. I'll bet Bob Ross has a picture.

Nighty-night, folks.
Love, RZD


No comments:

Post a Comment