Thursday, October 8, 2020

Photos from Bill Hess of Wasilla, AK - and Poem for Bill Hess

Here's one of my favorite people. 

Bill Hess. In fact, on my list of blogs I follow, Bill is there! 



ALASKA! Why, this must be from Bill Hess of Wasilla, AK. 

He's recuperating in the hospital but should be out today.

Here's what he writes:

I don’t know about the “famous in Wasilla” part, although it is true to an extent on the Arctic Slope. You might change “elk” to “moose” and deer to “whales” or “polar bears.”

Last winter, I bought a drone so I could take it to the Slope for spring whaling and use it on the ice and then follow through in subsequent seasons, but when t pandemic hit, the villages locked down. In June, I turned my drone to a photo subject that dwarfs the FSB: the Alaska, primarily as trains approach, pass through and depart Wasilla.

I thumbtype this from a hospital bed after undergoing urinary tract roto rooter surgery yesterday. I expect to be released this afternoon.

I hope you are doing well, Ruth. It’s always good to hear from you.

Bill

POEM FOR BILL HESS

This man is strong as a pine tree
His family awaits him in the wilds of the country
But much has changed
We call it "climate change" and this great wild land
has wilted, step on the tundra and you'll sink.
What would Jack London think in his novel
Martin Eden, where all is destroyed? 



No comments:

Post a Comment