Thursday, October 15, 2020

Healthy Eating - Poem: Healthy Eating


HEALTHY EATING 

I signed up for the free Food Post LOVE AND LEMONS. Excellent recipes.

Many food gurus are on PBS, which I often watch at night.

Last night Mark Hyman, MD, was on.


What I like most about him is he is not dogmatic.

Woof woof!

Read about him here

Or not.

Right now I am sipping on Red Velvet Coffee sent to me by my friend Iris. 

Dee-licious.

It must be hot or I can't drink it.

In my crockpot I am making chili. 

CHILI

Ingredients are

ONE CAN of Giant pinto beans

a tsp of Garlic

Two Cups of Brown Rice

Set on High.

...

As a person with diabetes, I must be careful about what I eat. 

Also I must protect MY FEET so I don't have any toes amputated.

What an awful word: amputated!

As we know, poor people and Black people and Hispanics are at high risk to have complications from diabetes. 

Why? We often follow the way our family members eat and if they eat poorly, we follow suit.

...

To lower my blood sugar, I walk around the hilly block in my neighborhood. 

I wave to my friend Lee and her two Grand Pyrenees. She has them since one of her daughters did. Photo below from the Internet. 



At first I wanted her email address, but then I realized people like their privacy.

I also ride my stationery bike in my bedroom while watching TV.

POEM: HEALTHY EATING

I'm not terribly old, a little over 74, but desire
to live in my Yellow House until the day I die.

The house is packed with all the things I love
Radios in every room, music thrilling me

Did you know I once played Beethoven, Bach,
and gloomy Brahms who once fit my mood?

Mrs Ted Kultti was my teacher, back in Cleveland,
her good cheer made life exciting

We visited her house in Twinsburg Ohio
Wonder who lives there now?

The house was as modern as a Denise Scott Brown
And my world opened up when I saw it.

Every experience we have
Good, bad, terrible, becomes

Who we are.

And YOU, who are you?


Denise Scott Brown is 89.

View info about this amazing woman here

Now I must check on my chili.

As Mark Hyman says, Food is the best medicine.

EAT PLENTY OF FIBER !!!


As Colombo, with the late Peter Falk, would say, ONE MORE THING:

Here is our former house at 2929 Glenmore Road in Shaker Heights OH, 44122.

My sister Amy in Seattle looked it up. 


It's UNRECOGNIZABLE on the inside.

They even put in Cathedral Ceilings. 

Once upon a time the Biskinds lived next door, so did the Turnocks, whom we called The Turnoculators, The Katz Family lived on the end of the street - he ran for mayor of Philadelphia and lost - The Fotheringhams lived down the street.

He was an old man who accidentally set a fire in the empty back yards on the street.

I remember Dad once said, The trees will grow very tall. As a kid, it seemed impossible.





No comments:

Post a Comment