Friday, October 9, 2020

Whitey Ford of the Yankees is dead at 91 - Poem: Nostalgia

 Whitey Ford of the New York Yankees has died at age 91. He won more games for the Yankees than any other pitcher.

What could I do but run next door to Scott's and tell him. Scott was procrastinating doing his exercises.

"It's all part of what you do," I said.

Nice action photo of  "Slick" a nickname from Billy Martin. His number 

View Wiki info on Whitey Ford here

As my family knows, I was a huge baseball fan from first grade on.

Family? They're all gone now. 

NOSTALGIA

Back in Shaker Heights, we had an island in the middle of the street.
We played baseball there, using cushions for bases, and bats and balls
that neighbors like the Biskinds and the Katz family had back then
Before everyone fled as we all became grown-ups

Once Cousin Mark and I went to a ballgame at the stadium
We ate hot dogs on soft rolls with plenty of spicy mustard
My friend Nick Breslin died at 86, neither young nor old
but he did write a book which resides in my living room library


Sharp dresser, Nick Breslin. He came to one of my parties and brought stuffed mushrooms.
Yum!

I'll tell you something. I am feeling quite emotional now. Watched a great film noir on YouTube starring Charles Boyer and Ann Blythe. Boyer was sentenced to death but I won't tell you the ending.

What shall I do now?

Only one thing to do.

Ask Dad.




No comments:

Post a Comment