Thursday, October 8, 2020

Louise Gluck wins Nobel Prize for Literature

 

Hope this fine photo comes out. It's Martha Stewart. Mom loved her and so do I. She and her then husband, not shown, went to the movies after smoking pot, and she thought she'd never get to her seat.

That was the last time she smoked!

I was very excited this morning when I read that Louise Gluck had won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Why was I excited

Several years ago, we'd had our Poets and Writers Reading at Weinrich Bakery and produced a little booklet called ICING ON THE CAKE. Weinrich's was kind enough to pay for it!

Young Steven Weinrich shared a draft of one of Gluck's poems. He studied under her. 

Weinrich no longer works there. But Beth, who answered the phone, said she'd give him the message. 

I also loved when Bob Dylan won the Nobel. Dylan, Bobby Zimmerman, is what I call a genius. That man knew everything there was to know about music. 

YES HE DID!!!


He gave his first major interview to VANITY FAIR, a mag my late friend Judy Diaz subscribed to.

You know, I haven't any pix of of Judy Diaz so lemme settle upon a cat. Her cat Missy went with her to Neverland.

Shall I mix politics in here? My late friends Judy Diaz and Bill Cardinale were "political junkies."

I watched the debate last night with pasty-face Mike Pence and emotional Kamala Harris. Did the viewers learn anything?

I did not and of course I know who I will vote for.


Oh, I didn't realize they were made of real colors and not black n white, like the Daguerreotypes.

Spoke to neighbor Bill Adams this morning and told him I'd wrin a story about his mother. Fine, he said, as long as you don't use last names.

I used a fake last name.

Great haircut, I said to him.

His daughter Shannon cuts it for him.

Oy veh! Gotta think of a poem now. 

Am certainly not gonna write about vigilantes wanting to friggin kidnap the Governor of Michigan!

Lordy me.

SIPPING COFFEE 

The way we find coffees is elusive,

devil-may-care. My friend from Goddard College

is Plainfield VT has been my supplier for many a year.

This Michael's Coffee made with Arabica Beans

keeps me delightfully high. I swish it around my mouth

like Lavoris at Dr Bell's office back in Cleveland

and nurse it all day long.

Keeps me awake so I can read all the books

on my purple swivel chair.

...




No comments:

Post a Comment