Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Middle of the Night Phone Call

 Was watching the BBC News with Laura Trevallyan - the Taliban taking over large parts of the Afghan - and then onto the Arabs and the Israelis destroying one another, family by family- so finally I just turned off the television.

Then I closed my eyes and the phone rang downstairs.

A little after midnight.

Who, I wondered, might be trying to do away with themselves now?

Turns out I am the lucky winner of...

I think it was the same number as those Rain Eye Drops. Now I'll have to take off my phone at night.

Earlier, at 9:30 pm a show was on called NEUTRAL GROUND. 

C J Hunt was the director. The premise was showing how monuments during the Civil War and afterward celebrated racism and slavery but few people noticed as they were so used to them.

I did enjoy the show. The director was told by his brown and black colleagues that he was not being honest - or his authentic self - so he then changed course to help folks of color actually see what is going on. 


CJ Hunt, Eric & Wendy Schmidt Fellow, is producing The Neutral Ground, a feature-length documentary about New Orleans' fight over Confederate monuments and America's codependent relationship with the Lost Cause. 

Hunt is a biracial comedian currently working as a field producer on “The Daily Show” with Trevor Noah. He was also a field producer on BET's “The Rundown” with Robin Thede and a staff writer on A&E's “Black and White.” 

With a degree in Africana studies and a career in finding humor at the edge of tragedy, Hunt believes satire is perfect for capturing the absurdity of a losing army erecting self-congratulatory statues that are protected for a century as "our history." He is an alumnus of the New Orleans Film Fest's Emerging Voices program and a fellow with Firelight Media's Documentary Lab. His work is supported by ITVS, the Center for Asian American Media, and the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation.

Usually since I'm up this late, I would read the Times. But no, no more bad news for me.

And that coffee I drank from Helene's cup.

More baffroom trips. Put the cup to the service of clear, pure, water. 

Don't mind if I do. 

Maybe it's time I buy a Britta!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment