Saturday, July 10, 2021

Letter to the Editor of Inquirer about Chris Bursk is dead - Poem: Rejection

 Poets all over the Delaware Valley, not to mention the world over, are grieving the death of famous poet Christopher Bursk. At 78, he won prestigious awards including the Guggenheim Fellowship and wrote an astounding nine books of imaginative poetry, including "The Improbabable Swervings of Atoms," praised by the New York Times.

He died on June 21 in Langhorne, PA.

A professor, a teacher, a human rights activist, he is survived by his wife Mary Ann, children, grandchildren and family members.

How could he die so young?

Although I never took any of his classes I would drive from my home in Willow Grove, no matter how bad the weather, to listen to his readings at Bucks County Community College, which he made his college. Standing behind the podium this unaffected man with John Lennon glasses and hair like a haystack, Bursk filled the auditorium. We cheered, we thrilled, we all wanted to be like him.

I think of him when I look out the window at the furious rains in this chaotic world of ours. His poetry brought it to order.

When I look outside I see the fireflies blinking on and off, on and off.

Peace, good man, the helper of all poets.

Ruth Z. Deming

Willow Grove, PA

Phone:  215 659 2142



After my morning walk, I grabbed the Inquirer from neighbor Bill Adams, sat on the step on his front porch and read the entire newspaper.

Then I placed it on one of the rocking chairs au porch.

...

While walking in my gray shorts and blue n white short-sleeve shirt the joggers were pumping their arms and legs. I wanted to tell them that Le Prix de France is on TV right now.

REJECTED

I have been rejected by the New York Times, The Intelligencer of Doylestown, The Times Chronical and 60 Agents I tried to sell my novel to.

I am not one to paste these on my walls and eat them like meatballs and spaghetti, with a shake of Romano Cheese on top.

Instead, I will stroll around my neighborhood, head held high, look at the heavens and think

What more, Goddammit, do you want from me?



No comments:

Post a Comment