Sunday, November 22, 2020

Thanksgiving - Poem about Lenni Lenape

 Groovin’ Low

my swing is more mellow
these days: not the hardbop drive
i used to roll but more of a cool
foxtrot. my eyes still close
when the rhythm locks; i’ve learned
to boogie with my feet on the floor
i’m still movin’, still groovin’
still fallin’ in love

TO READ MORE, go to Poetry Foundation

I'm sure my readers wanna know what I was doing reading Spellman.

What? You don't!!!

Was gonna write a fan letter to Ahmad Jamal who is playing now on my kitchen stereo. Learned about his influences and peers. He is 90 years old.  Born July 2, 1930 in Pittsburgh, which he said has had a big influence on him. 

...

Woke up around 5 am. Loaded lots of obnoxious items in the Yellow Plastic Bin kept in Scott's yard.

This included smelly bleach, plastic salad containers, containers holding test strips.

Twas brillag outside, so I went for a walk in my huge back yard, wearing my PJs and rain hat that looks like Vera's from her mystery show. 

Oh no! An errant leaf was growing over the Adams' fence. Brought a scissors outside and lopped it off. 

Shhh! Decided not to write a fan letter to Jamal. This will suffice!

Jamal I think you're fantastic! My son/law Ethan Iverson gave me your CDs to borrow and they're in my middle room, THE READING ROOM.

I listen to his music every day bc I don't wanna hear the radio or read the Times about the president's ways to subvert the election.

Jamal may like el presidente, we never know.

Two more hours to Film Noir.

The Times had a shocking expose on Stalin's Gulag. Some survivors are still alive and fondly remembered Stalin, as he saved his country from the German attempt to starve them to death outside St Petersburg.

Perhaps you would like a Tiffany Easter egg.

Orders from on high are to skip Thanksgiving, which no one will do. Scott and I will celebrate on his day off. 

The highlight will be Mrs Smith's Frozen Apple Pie w vanilla ice cream on top.

WHAT A BACK YARD

If we excavated, we would find The Lenni Lenape below
Some are still alive
but their culture's ruined by the Europeans
disease rampant
just like today.
We call ours
coronavirus
We await the savior vaccine. 
A.B. Spellman, "Groovin’ Low" from Things I Must Have Known. Copyright © 2008 by A.B. Spellman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment