Wednesday, November 4, 2020

It ain't over till the fat lady sings - Poem: Oh Lord, Deliver us from Ourselves

 Took the long way around the hilly block.

And what did you see, my dear?

Masks, that's what I saw, tossed in the middle of the road.

Spoke to a woman named Carolyn.

Oh, that's one of my favorite names, I said. I have a friend named Carolyn. And two, if you count Tony's daughter.


Her next door neighbor had moved into Christ's Home.

She has Alzheimer's disease and is more confused than ever.

I told her about my friend Shirley Sanders, whose photo is on my fridge. A Merck drug did no good on her. 

And of course my neighbor Eileen, darnit! - is living at a facility in Roslyn, PA. 

So, Carolyn on Cowbell Road had chosen some chairs to keep. 

I sat down in one and said, Hey, I'll bring my book and read here.

Am drinking my hot tea now, which is now iced cold. Wild Berry, no caffeine, with a sprinkling of cinnamon.

When I caught up with Mailman Dante this morning, he was sitting in his truck.


We can't give up yet, I said. 

He nodded in agreement.

What a beautiful song is on WRTI-FM now.

I'm guessing it's Brahms Requiem.

POEM: Deliver Us from Ourselves

The incumbent has an easier time

but we thought - we thought we were

in the majority. How little we know

what is going on in the wider world.

Life will go on, I will walk with

pride down my street, crunching 

in the dead leaves, voices of Loved Ones

ringing in my ears. 


Johannes Brahms (1833-1897) Dead at age 64 - is it possible? 
Johannes Brahms was a German composer, pianist, and conductor of the Romantic period. Born in Hamburg into a Lutheran family, Brahms spent much of his professional life in Vienna. Wikipedia
BornMay 7, 1833, Hamburg, Germany
DiedApril 3, 1897, Vienna, Austria
NationalityGerman




No comments:

Post a Comment