Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Poem I wrote for next door boyfriend Scott - photo of RZD

 

Ruth Z Deming, MGPGP, in her daily uniform.

Photo by Lynn Green, sister no. four.

BRIGHTON BEACH, SUNDAY FILM NOIR

Scott's front door was locked
I had yawned myself awake
exhausted with drooping eyelids
like Kirk Douglas in his final days

Brighton Beach in England
once long ago I had roamed
the moors on a trip
with Sarah and Padmore and a
little white dog

For chrissakes was he dead or alive
I realized I cared about my next door neighbor
and wondered What would I do without him.

PART TWO

Later that day after he and I had done our chores
Brought ballot to post office
Library books to drop box
We sat in his front seat
ready to embark

but there was simply too much
to talk about
You've heard of necking in the back seat
This was chatting in the front seat
Admiring our homes
Mine yellow
His blue
Discussing food we loved
Waiting for the end of the pandemic
so life could go back to normal
The Willow Inn with eggplant parm
Hula Grill and Spatafor's in
Ocean City

The window was all steamed up.
Fancy that!
I rolled out the door in my copper-
colored shoes crouching a bit
from sitting too long.

...

In a dream I had this morning before waking up, I had written FOUR WORDS to start out a short story. Something like, She sat in a chair. 

..

Had I told you about Michiko Hill? I was watching a football game with Scott's team the Nebraska Cornhuskers and wondered how Michiko was.

This is when my then-husband Millard G Deming and I lived in Married Student Housing in Austin, Tx.

Well, turns out Michiko's husband of many years was dead! Lester. He had his PhD. All gifts in his name should go to the Southern Poverty Law Review, which is one of my charities.



No comments:

Post a Comment