Thursday, October 7, 2021

Great song on radio - Dreams of Dogs - My son Dan will soon celebrate a birthday

 I Never Dreamed Someone Like You Could Love Someone Like Me

Could it be that the lady is me
In the photograph?
I'm afraid 'cause it feels too good
And I want it too bad
It's just not true
Couldn't ask for anymore than you
Because you look at me
As though I'm beautiful
Could it be that you want me?
I never dreamed someone like you
Could want someone like me
I'm not sure but the more that it's real
The more it's right, oh what a night
It's as though we've been lovers
All of our lives
There must be a God
Could it be that he's heard me at last?
Because you look at me
As though I'm beautiful
Could it be the lady is me?
I never dreamed someone like you
Could want someone like me
...
I'm not ready to wake up yet, but I heard the above song on WXPN - powerfully good - so I just looked it up. 
Soon it will be my son Dan's birthday. He was born on October 9, 1976. 
FORTY FIVE.
You can't imagine how much I love him !
He and his family are 'cat people." He loves to sit and pet his cats. 
In my dream I was petting an elegant dog, one that I see trotting around the block with his owner. Have no idea what kind it is.
Shall we take a look?
...
Went on PETFINDER.COM. Fab site!
In the film I watched last night called  LEGALLY BLOND, with 
Reese Witherspoon, made in 2001

when the women were sad, they would perk up by getting manicures n pedicures.
Well, I submit, that going on petfinder will cheer you up.
I have selected MANCHESTER TERRIER
GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER
IRISH SETTER
BASENJI
DOBERMAN PINSCHER
FINNISH LAPPHUND

Basenji. What shall we name him/her? 
The NY Times speculates on possible winners for the next Nobel?
I thought I'd like to read the Gary Shteyngart book, top right. 
Judy Diaz had told me to read Shteyngart.
Let's see his bio.

I have never given circumcision a single thought, other than to consent to my sons’ circumcision. Europeans think its weird for American Gentiles to be circumcised, and I think they’re right … but I remember the one kid we had in my elementary school class, a black boy who had been born at home, and who was not circumcised. All us boys wanted to stare at his primitive root wiener when we were at the urinal during recess, because it was monstrous. Nobody told us that wieners could look like that. The kid didn’t know why his penis was so strange looking, and neither did we. Third grade, man.

Reading the novelist Gary Shteyngart’s harrowing tale of dealing in mid-life with a late circumcision gone wrong caused me to send the link to my sons, asking them to strongly consider not circumcising any male children they may one day have, as it is not necessary for Christians to do this. Don’t get me wrong: I believe that people who circumcise for religious reasons should have the right to do so. The Shteyngart piece changed my mind on whether doing it is advisable for those for whom it is not a religious requirement. Shteyngart was circumcised as a teenage immigrant to the US, after some Chabadniks convinced his non-religious Soviet Jewish parents that their son needed to have a bris to be properly Jewish. It did not work out as it ought to have done, but this wasn’t a real problem for Shteyngart until a couple of years ago, well into middle age. Here is an excerpt:

For the first time since the initial surgery, I felt that I was being cared for and looked after. Is this it? I thought. Is this my liberation? “In seven to ten days,” the doctor said, “the new skin will grow in and I expect you’ll feel great.”

In seven to ten days, I was in the worst pain of my life. There were some improvements. My penis was no longer covered with scabs, and yet walking for more than ten minutes was impossible. I was losing my mind. I had finally tried gabapentin, but it brought about a mild psychosis during which I wasn’t sure what was real and what was not. The penis is an outcropping of privilege in the male of the species, but it is also a pleasure palace constantly sending signals to the brain. Having pain in the region amounts to a never-ending genital tinnitus. It is impossible to think of anything else.

I’ve always had a rational fear of dying, but when I imagined a life without being able to walk or swim or have sex or travel or do anything without pain or an Elizabethan collar, I wondered what it would be like to kill myself. I looked out the window and onto the fresh snow gathered below and considered the coldness of its eternal compress. Shortly thereafter, I read a BBC article about Alex Hardy, a British man who had committed suicide in 2017 after being circumcised in Canada as a young adult. He did not share his travails with anyone after his operation, but in a long farewell note to his mother he wrote that “these ever-present stimulated sensations from clothing friction are torture within themselves; they have not subsided/normalised from years of exposure. . . . Imagine what would happen to an eyeball if the eyelid was amputated?” That analogy perfectly articulated my own experience.

The stomachs of every male in my readership just rolled over. Shteyngart’s account is about the experience of chronic pain, both physical and psychological (because the penis is not just any body part, but a symbol of one’s manhood, and the instrument of sexual communion with one’s partner. I expected to read a very funny novelist being very funny about an embarrassing malady. Shteyngart does show a sense of comic irony in the piece, but mostly it’s about how much he hurts. It’s a surprisingly moving essay. Read it all. 

(I expect that nine out of ten male readers of that Shteyngart piece will send it to all their male friends. It’s that kind of essay.)






No comments:

Post a Comment