Saturday, May 1, 2021

Saturday Morning Writing Group - The Wahine Disaster - will add this to my memoirs POEM FOR NEIGHBOR CAROL CARR at bottom

 


THE SINKING OF THE WAHINE

How I love our Saturday Writing Group, featuring Beatriz and her incredible tales of pollinators – wasps, ants, bees, birds – that all come alive in her hand. We also have Barbara Custer, the Balloon Lady, who is working on a novel, featuring characters, including Zombies; Linda Barrett, who invents extraordinary creatures and characters who have unbelievable adventures. And, yes, she has read the late Ray Bradbury of Fahrenheit 451, the temperature that books burn in one of his dysphoric stories. Ken Ivins is either a listener who offers helpful comments, or he comes up with stories that may take place on a train – perhaps he has read Hercule Poirot, with that slender, fastidious moustache – or in the back of a limousine, ooh la la!
Habits die hard. Before I write something and submit it to our group, nicknamed “The Beehive” after our Beatriz, I often watch a disaster film. Why, I’m not sure. Perhaps to cleanse my mind. The video “The Wahine” popped up for me. “The Wahine” was an enormous ferry in New Zealand. On April 10, 1968, the Wahine sunk. Nothing could stop it. I cowered on my Red Couch where I was watching and drinking a 12-ounce can of V-8, through a straw.
I marveled at the snap of the attached can opener.
Snap! Pop! Open! Drink!
Ah! What could be more satisfying?
Getting out of the storm, that’s what.
Storm was the wrong word. It was a cyclone. No one aboard was aware of what was going on. Folks were interviewed in color in 2020. The ship’s captain, Jim Mason, had been asleep, when he was awoken. He called for a cup of tea, which arrived, boiling hot tea, which was tossed across the back wall.
A policeman and his family were watching from dry land and called 111, the disaster line. He viewed roofs being blown off. Driving down the road, so many obstacles kept the officer from rescuing The Wahine in his tugboat. The ferry began transporting passengers for day and overnight trips between New Zealand’s inter-island route between the ports of Wellington and Lyttelton, in 1966. A maximum of 1,100 passengers were allowed on.
What they did not know was they were heading directly into Tropical Cyclone Giselle. Not to be confused with the lovely ballet, Giselle, which had been performed by the Australian Ballet Theatre. Ironically, like the ferry, Giselle, a trusting peasant girl, was sacrificed for love.  
Barrett’s Reef approached at fantastic speeds. The waters churned and churned like the Niagara. Finally, the passengers heard a deafening roar: Abandon ship! Abandon ship!
“Stop!” A man in authority yelled. “Leave your pocketbook behind.”
“Had we not,” said an elderly woman with blonde hair, “we would be dead.”
Fifty-one people lost their lives.
But not me. I was sipping on my V-8 for dear life. Sucking and sucking, till it ran out. Quickly, I ran into the kitchen. I tripped over something and fell onto the carpet.
“How could I do that?” I thought, as I continued into the kitchen with the cold white linoleum and refilled the V-8 with cold tap water.
When I returned to the film, I “liked” it. YouTube would remember me and notify me for the next disaster film. They knew my taste better than I did. 

....
Walking down the street around 4 pm, I encountered Kevin Carr, the son of Carol Carr and her late husband Bill. Bill had put up my jeweled mezuzah on my front door. Have wanted to stop by for ages and finally did. I wore my mask. Carol is quite the talker - she is 87, I believe - and we talked about The Basement Steps, her difficulty seeing since she has macular degeneration, like my late Aunt Selma did - we thought Selma would never die - her son Bruce who lives at a group home. He did come 'home' however several times and she got a great big hug from him. 
He is getting pudgy though as they feed him a lot of junk food. Something called TINY BYTES. I stood up and looked at all their photos and their old Philco Radio. 
Kevin was cutting the lawn and spraying weed killer all over. Inside, we looked at all the puffs floating through the air. Amazing. Dandelion puffs.
In their back yard, I saw humongous WISTARIA BUSHES, like at my late friend what's his name in Hatboro, PA. I'd like to write a  poem for Carol, which I will do right now.
Don't wait up for me.

POEM FOR THE ONE AND ONLY, CAROL CARR

WHAT A LIFE YOU'VE LIVED, CAROL CARR, 86, if a day

A SIMPLE NAME, BUT NOT A SIMPLE LIFE

YOUR YOUNGEST BRUCE, WENT OFF TO A GROUP HOME

AND LOVES IT THERE, THOUGH HE MISSES HIS MOM

AND WHO WOULDN'T!

SHE'S A LADY WITH A SPLENDID PERSONALITY

IF SHE STOPS TALKING SHE MIGHT AS WELL BE DEAD

FLOWERS GROW ALL ALONG THE STEPS

FRAGRANT RED TULIPS, YELLOW ONES AND MAROON

I HOPE TO CLIMB UP THE STAIRS TO HER LIVING ROOM

AGAIN AND AGAIN, OVER THE COMING YEARS.

LOVE, RUTH Z DEMING






No comments:

Post a Comment