Saturday, May 22, 2021

Saturday and the return of garage sales - Poem: Return of Garage Sales

 The Hudson River is now graced with these 'lily pads' where visitors can view the magnificent river that Henry Hudson saw. 


Barbara Balloon Lady Custer sent these balloons in honor of Linda's 57th birthday. Yahoo !!! Linda needs a little joy in her life, as she is charged with taking c/o her elderly mom.

I was out walking early this morning and came upon a series of garage sales. How I love looking. My sister Lynn had given me a seersucker striped dress that I love, and now I saw it as a pair of shorts. It probly would not have fit.

But I looked through all the clothing. What fun!

There was only one thing I wanted.

A tiny fan.

I told a woman, who thought she had seen me before, but no, I'd never been to her house.

"I'm sure you don't have it," I said to Christine.

"A tiny fan."

And there it was for only a dollar.


Christine is really a nice name. Gotta remember and use it in another short story.

Was up at 2 am working on today's short story.

It's about the Upper Moreland Public Library. 

Chose the name, "A Cold Sip of Water."

Am pretty happy with it PLUS I can use it in my memoirs. 

Not one person in my writing group has critiqued it yet. I did everyone's the day before.

Get with it!!!


What a fantastic book I'm reading. So glad I found it. 

You can picture everything. 

So I'm upstairs in my room reading it. The fan is blowing on me, keeping me cool. Am elevating my ankle to lower the swelling, which is not working, and I'm wondering, Where is Scott.

Finally he came over.

He was up all night five hours after getting the Moderna shot.

He was extraordinary uncomfortable and kept pacing back n forth. I told him he should have called me and I would have stayed with him, but he said, no need.

He had intense pressure in the bottom of his lungs but he could breathe fine.

Luckily there were good TV shows on, he said.

Finally he fell asleep and feels much better this morning. But he can't eat yet.

I'll go back upstairs, ice my foot and read the book again.

The name again is A FAR DISTANT SUN and the author is, don't tell me, don't tell me, Elaine Dean Orr.

By god, I think she's got it. 


GARAGE SALES

After a breakfast of blah cereal with blueberries and peanut butter
I slip on comfortable shoes and begin my walk around the block.
It's not hot yet and the sun beams over the roof tops
Walking up Sleighride, the steep slope, the neighbors are spread out in their yards
First of all, they know the name Sleighride is odd and have gotten used to it
Second, they have emptied their closets and attics of long forgotten and dusty
items that will give them freedom, like loosening their waist lines.
Gregarious individuals they greet new neighbors with broad smiles
and allow the kids to keep count of the money and the dogs.
Summer, hurray for summer, and keep the change.


No comments:

Post a Comment