Monday, March 16, 2020

A poem or two - A poem for Francie - Scott drives to work for first time


ROBIN FRANKLIN

You're in my thoughts as I
use your colorful potholder

I drink to you
from my Harry and Meghan cup
bought online and filled
with fruity tasting Earl Grey tea.

The rain drops pebble my front walk
and silent tears splash on
my cheeks for the woman who once lived next door.

Eileen's dementia only grew worse. Her family
put her in Brookside in Roslyn, nice enough place
to play Bingo and have your vitals checked for signs
of impending death. Soon, we hope.

Mourning doves in double-breasted suits,
Robins, proud as strutters at the Mummers Parade
and tiny chicadees, small as pieces of Nutella chocolate
found a home in my front yard
bird box.

They allow me to know we haven't yet destroyed
God's kingdom.

Trucks pass on my street. The drivers are always
drinking. Tipping back their heads to pour hot coffee
down their throats.

I've always wondered what waterboarding feels like, have you?

Is this the America we call our own?

Robin, what is the purpose of life. Yes, I've
heard it is to help one another, like our Daytime Group.
Thanks for that.

Should I buy a dog like Jackson, a brown and white beauty,
who is prancing down the street now?

Will meditatation bring me the answer.
Remember when we all did it together?

My 97-year-old mother still lives at home
cared for by companions every single day.
She has a booze cupboard in the kitchen
from when Dad was alive.

Shall I pour myself a stiff one, take it into
the living room with the gauzy curtains
the desk they bought at B. Altman's and ask
What the hell is life all about?

***
Just talked to my GREAT FRIEND "Francie." God forbid I use her real name.

I drank a cup of coffee - my first in quite a while - using the last of my Giant dark roasted coffee.

Not bad. Coffee is coffee. Just like Ada's mom, Lillian, had vanilla ice cream before bed.

KALIE! Please stop barking.

Harrumph harrumph.

MY FRIEND FRANCIE

Natch, she was thinking of me when I called
Her volunteer job was cancelled due to the virus
This woman is not afeared of going out in these
deadly times, and bought her necessities like
Pantene Shampoo, which lathers up nicely
like foam on a glass of beer.

She read me something she wrote, brilliant, of course,
but she said, It's too wordy, I said, C'mon, Francie,
you're too modest.

I read her the Robin poem above, which she liked,
and then we clicked off the phone, and I took phone
off hook.

***
Kissed Scott goodbye last night as he drove to SEPTA
instead of riding the trains with sneezers and coughers
and wished him Godspeed. He thought he'd remember
the way, which he did, since I saw him this morning.

First thing I did when I awoke was look out the window
and there was his Wonder Bread white car. Shhh! Don't
wake him.



Coffee cup left over from the Travis Family, original owners.

White plastic drying rack from Helene Ryesky.

No comments:

Post a Comment