Sunday, September 15, 2019

A wet bed is an uncomfortable bed - Poem: My dad's hankies

I keep several containers of water on my bedside table - including my new lime-green large cup PLUS my all important flashlight. Was reaching for my flashlight by feel when I grabbed instead a glass water bottle, turned it over so I could flash my light on, when, psh psh psh, the water watered my bed.

Oh deary me, oh deary me.

Everything is now in the washing machine downstairs.

I spose I'll sleep on the red couch.

I am one of those people who is always sharing interesting emails with others. I titled this one: Jews get markers.

Harriet had seen it on one of her cruises.

Before I began yesterday, I wrote a Letter to the Editor of the Times Kron. It was about a walk Scott and I took on Rails to Trails.

*
Gunter David, an old friend of mine, had amazing success writing for various publications. Look, he even has a beard here in Wild River Review, which is no longer published. Good writer who left Berlin with his family as the Nazis were gaining power.

*

The first thing I thought about when I woke up today was my dad.

I still can't believe I live in this house all by myself. And I have no friends. Should I write an op-ed about that?

*

Watched RASHOMON last night on TCM. Left Scott's at 2 15 am, tottering home with my bad left leg.

*

Thanks Iris for sending me Michael's Gourmet Coffee. A gift for the Jewish New Year.

*

Schism between Beatriz's group - our group - at her home - about bed bugs - so I invited everyone over my house. We're tentatively calling the group THE CIGAR BOX, Rem knows why.

Okay, almost 5 am.

Off go the lights and out come the bugs!

MY DAD'S HANKIES

Fresh from the drying rack
they are thin as crepes
I can hold them over my mouth
in Beijing to quell the toxic
government and polluted air
always thinking of my dad
who once trumpeted as
he was slowly dying
a death by smoking.





No comments:

Post a Comment