Wednesday, January 29, 2020

You despicable glutton, You!

LEFTOVERS

Simon's wife refused to eat leftovers
In later years, after he died, she
passed from too much iron in her blood,
a disease of the Irish

Leftovers are a gift on this hungry night

I walked in the dark to Stacey and Bill's
to commiserate the partial death of their mother
Eileen's mind

They sent me home with a four-pack of
Strawberry Yogurt, two of which I downed on
the Red Couch

Why then did I go to the fridge,
you glutton from the days of Chaucer and Dante,
you rapscallion with swollen belly

And take down the loaded paper plate
and eat as if I were on a picnic in
the Elvira Madigan symphony of Mozart

plopping down on the bright green grass
in a park in Vienna while youngsters
sailed boats in a man made pool

The meat pies were divine
so was the shepherd pie
with silent vegetables inside
awaiting the fork or mouth,

as I thought go ahead, they're
healthy, finish them all,
you gluttonous thing, You

Death can happen in a single pop
like Kobe and his kid, never
expecting the helicopter
to squash their plans
to rubble and debris
inedible.

....
At Temple University I majored in psychology
and English. In the English class, we read
- was it Dante? - where gluttons roasted like
marshmallows - in hell.

This frightens me still. I never kept those books,
black cover with design upon it, Penguin books
perhaps?

Do we have a picture of Simon? His gluttony
was not only in his belly but his hoarding
as well.

No can find.




No comments:

Post a Comment