Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Ode to Brenda Mower


She never knew what hit her after her husband forbad her to participate in New Directions.

Here is her obit. You'll see her lovely face.

BRENDA MOWER

Decades later, Brenda,
I look you up and find your
obit bringing you back to me
like a fisherman pulling up
a shiny marlin.

How you got to us is a mystery
but with a talent like yours
you must have a group of your own.

We sent you to Morris Arboretum
where you worked with a woman
delighted to help you. When I visited
I found you and your crew mopping your brows
in the Cactus Room, marveling at the beauty
of the hundreds of different orchids, some
taller than dogwoods, but it was you, Brenda,
who was the star.

Every so often a woman is born
a true leader, your curly hair,
your bright eyes, the relationship
you had with your psychiatrist,
We laughed when you
wrote about his kicking his shoe
on and off.

Oh, they sent you to the asylum,
who knows why, but that's what they do
to the brilliant and the bold and the
truthtellers.

Your husband
Marvin, built you an addition
to your house, what did that do to your spirit?
My little nightingale, your voice could not
sing anymore.

....

Rem, thanks for the idea of my writing a poem. 

For breakfast I finished the box of Tomato Bisque Soup which I ate from a paper bowl. In a moment I will eat my usual and compost them. 

And down all them supplements.

And, then, Dear Readers, I shall write for Bookends Review.


No comments:

Post a Comment