Monday, May 4, 2020

Well done, Daniel Paul Deming for conducting The Online Funeral - Poem: Lilacs for Mom

It's Monday morning now, May 4. My dad's birthday. Born in 1921 Siri will now figure out how old he would be.

SIRI?

After the online funeral, I emailed people this link from when I visited Selma in Cleveland Heights.

Just got home from a walk around the block. I have started walking again. No one out yet. Then made my crucial right turn and up that huge hill I walked, arms pumping, then jogged down Sleighride and right into my house. Washed hands. Lemme look at em now.

Nails getting a bit long, Dear Stephen. There might be a cat scratcher from when Dan used to live here.

Attendees:  Dan n Nicole, Mary Begis from Texas I think, Carlos Guerrero standing in front of one of his late wife Barbara's paintings, Jade, Matt and their kids, The Fogels - Linda and Jack, plus Aunt Selma, 102 - Miles and Oxsana from Florida, Joe Biden protesting he didn't do it, sister Lynn, who read a WONDERFUL tribute to Mom, Melissa the spiritual dentist and husband Rich in the background, Sarah and Ethan.

Ethan. sitting at his piano, began with a Toccata and Fugue by Bach and ended with TEA FOR TWO, allegedly Mom's favorite song.

He asked us to all join in.  All I could do was hum. I didn't know the words.

When my turn came - and Scott had joined me - I began with the 23rd Psalm - and I held up my dad's bible from when he was in the Marines, stationed at Gitmo. A staff sergeant, he was a paymaster.

...After the 23rd psalm, with its famous last lines, And I shall fear no evil, for Thou art with me.

...I shall always remember Mom for trying so hard to help our brother David. David Richard Greenwold, the family photographer.

David had autism, a condition you're born with, where you have difficulty interacting with the outside world.

Look what she accomplished with David.

He was bar mitzvahed at Keneseth Israel in Elkins Park, PA. I remember seeing Mrs Tamaccio there, his greatest teacher. View her obit here.



Oh, look, here's Mom again in 2015.

David took art lessons and piano lessons.

I would often drive him to Mrs T's, as we called her.

David loved orange juice, which, as a kid he called GREE.

And he called me REE-ROW.



Poem:  Lilacs for Mom

Like Mom, I loved lilacs.
Would bring her
vases overflowing
with these aromatic
flowers from my
bountiful back yard.

The blooms vanished
so quickly
like Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment