Friday, May 29, 2020

Sculpture on campus of University of California at Merced - Poem Lying in Bed and Trying to Fall Asleep

The meat of this blog is on the bottom.

This is the University of California at Merced.

Dr. Muñoz was recently selected to become the fourth chancellor of the University of California, Merced, the newest U.C. campus and one that has quickly solidified its place as a top educator of first-generation and Latino students — both groups that have been historically underrepresented at the University of California.
As a first-generation college student and U.C. alum himself, he said he was drawn back to California to be closer to family and to help shape a fast-growing institution.
Chancellor Juan Sanchez Munoz welcoming incoming students

I was drawn to the photo due to the sculpture sitting there.

I'd like all my readers to take a look at it and lemme know what you think.

I used to work at Art Matters under the late Doris Brandes and would often write reviews.

Those days are gone but these days are here.

My opinion of the sculpture?

Lacklustre, insignificant, a holy bore. Looks like a giant tweezers to extract splinters from your feet or fingers.

Sterilize first.

Note to Rem:

Rem, I'm always in a hurry when I decide to watch something on my upstairs TV.


So I check my fridge to see what's in there to nosh on.

A tomato! Yum!

I pour some mayo on top. If I have time I'll cut a piece of Cheddar cheese from Cabot - independent farms - and carry it up to my bed.

There's usually 6 plastic bowls up there in my BR. Corelle. Very attractive, orig bought via mail order from Walmart, tho I did go over there to check em out in person.

Just woke up for a second.

There's something really important I wanna write in my blog, but I must be downstairs to write blog.

Here's what it is.

Woke up and a chef was grilling food outdoors, as he always does. Meat.

As I walked to the baffroom I thought, Is my mother still around. If so, I'd like to talk to her.

Then I remembered that the 97 yo woman who just died WAS my mother.


Dammit. I'll never talk to her again.

...

Today's egg omelet which I'm eating as I type, is delicious! Added Tabby sauce, which I never refrigerate.

Last night at 7 pm I Zoomed with members of the writing group of Montgomery County Community College. My poet friend Cynthia Marcolina invited me.

There was Pat Nestler in her wonderful fluff of grey hair. Her husband David was helping with the teknical details.

...

Got briefly reacquainted w Laurence Salzmann, whom I'd sent the Atget fotographs to from the NY Times.

He's a filmmaker and photographer.

Website is here.

Below is one of his photos. I think we're in Mexico.


Ruth's poem of the day

LYING IN BED TRYING TO FALL ASLEEP

Last night I lay "Testimony" by Scott Turow
on my bedside table and began to sleep.
As always, thousands of tiny dots flickered
on the ceiling.
When sleep came, I was awoken by loud
tapping on the always-closed window behind me

Rain? Or the ghost of Mr Travis, original owner
of my house.

It matters not, I thought.

I'll either wake up or I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment