Sunday, May 3, 2020

Mom's Online Funeral Coming up Later Today

My son Dan and I did a practice ZOOM. Worked fine.

I'd read in the Times Chronicle that Nick Breslin died.

He was 86 and was one of our Phone Greeters for New Directions.

His twin is still alive.

Find the obit here.

They still haven't published my comment.

One thing I mentioned was the book he self published. On the back page he says, I am a retired carpenter.

Nice cover, all in blue, with the title GRAND CANYON SIZED EGOS.

So many people wanna write a book and Our Nick DID !!!

He talks about his favorite film, CASABLANCA.

I sent him a greeting card mentioning I thought of him when I watched the film.

His last essay is called SHIRTS. He discusses mens' shirts. Hilarious and so true. I could certainly apply that to my shirts.

BTW, I had a huge spaghetti stain on my shirt this morning, but I washed it with soapy water and twill look fine for the funeral.

Mom was a master at removing stains.

Hear that, Ma?

I woke up early and ate breakfast and took all them goddamn vitamins.

Then I went back to sleep.

I fell in bed and thought, You will never fall asleep.

Just lay there breathing - these are the days of the coronavirus - and I didn't realize I had fallen into a very deep sleep.

Was wearing my close for the day, no shoes, I'm not that dumb, and was awakened by the phone.

It's probly CVS, I thought.

It was Scott reminding me that Film Noir was on TCM.

Off I ran, passing loudly bumbling bees, jumping into his bed, then getting up to wash my hands and bathing the feet of Jesus,

FALLEN ANGEL was the film.

A lot of it took place in a diner.

Charles Bickford was the villain.

Tomorrow, btw, is Dad's birthday.

May 4. Born in 1921. Dead of cancer. Lucky Strikes unfiltered, Kent filtered. Gave up smoking on Yom Kippur at age 42 with sheer will power. Dead at 59.

I used to call Mom to remind her.

Orphaned now, Little Ruthie can never say,

Hi Dad! Hi Mom!





No comments:

Post a Comment