Monday, September 26, 2022

EASY LIVING, a 1949 film on TCM and more

 

Scott and I usually watch NOIR ALLEY on Sundays, which is followed by other films on Turner Classic Movies.

I just woke up now at 1 am and vividly remembered the 1949 film EASY LIVING starring Victor Mature, with his slick-backed black hair and his vain, greedy wife named Liza, played by Lizbeth Scott.

The costumes were fantastic and that includes football jerseys. In the film Victor, once a top player, was going downhill, and kept missing passes or overthrowing the ball. His teammates made fun of him.

In the film Victor goes to the doctor as he's feeling terrible and is diagnosed with a heart condition. He learns if he plays football now it will kill him. 

So instead of his demanding selfish wife - who fancies herself an interior designer, though she has no talent - he decides not to play the last game which would help them win the playoffs.

He slaps her face and says, I should have done this before. 

Lloyd Nolan plays a wealthy man who asks Liz to decorate his pad. 

... 

Part of the film was based on a story by Irwin Shaw.

Short stories[edit] from WIKI


Shaw was born Irwin Gilbert Shamforoff in the South Bronx, New York City, to Jewish immigrants from Russia.[2] His parents were Rose and Will. His younger brother, David Shaw, became a noted Hollywood producer and writer.[3] Shortly after Irwin's birth, the Shamforoffs moved to Brooklyn. Irwin changed his surname upon entering college. He spent most of his youth in Brooklyn, where he graduated from Brooklyn College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1934.


Shaw was highly regarded as a short story author, contributing to Collier'sEsquireThe New YorkerPlayboyThe Saturday Evening Post, and other magazines; and 63 of his best stories were collected in Short Stories: Five Decades (Delacorte, 1978), reprinted in 2000 as a 784-page University of Chicago Press paperback. Among his noted short stories are: "Sailor Off The Bremen", "The Eighty-Yard Run", and "Tip On A Dead Jockey". Three of his stories ("The Girls in Their Summer Dresses", "The Monument", "The Man Who Married a French Wife") were dramatized for the PBS series Great Performances. Telecast on June 1, 1981. This production was released on DVD in 2002 by Kultur Video.

In 1950, Shaw wrote a book on Israel with photos by Robert Capa named Report on Israel.


Irwin Shaw - nee Irwin Gilbert Shamforoff - who was only 71 when he died. 

1913 - 1984

When I learned about Irwin Shaw I thought, WOW, I would really like to read his short stories.

...

Remember I wrote about our flash flood yesterday?

Two rabbits were running through one of my flower beds.

So what did I do?

I reserved the book RABBIT HILL by Robert Lawson at my library. I also told Ellen that he wrote a great book called SMELLER MARTIN, where the protagonist could smell things from miles and miles away.

I do remember my dad once saying, Wouldn't it be amazing if a man could run faster than any other person in the world. 

....

When I woke up just now, a young woman was being interviewed about turning a pro soccer player at only 16, youngest age ever. Her name is Olivia something. .

She was interviewed by Geoff Bennett. I could not think of his name yesterday so I am glad I saw that clip from the Weekend News Hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment