Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Frontline about Policing the Police - Reading Outside - Elegy for Cousin Iris Goodman

 Dear FRONTLINE community,

George Floyd’s murder two years ago shocked the world. But reporters at the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, Minnesota, had been covering issues of race and policing in their area for years — and they knew that, in the words of reporter Libor Jany, Floyd’s death was part of “a long history of heavy-handed policing and police violence.”

 

Police on Trial, tonight’s new documentary with the Star Tribune, was filmed over two years in Minneapolis, following Floyd’s murder. It was written, produced and directed by Mike Shum (American Voices: A Nation in Turmoil), produced by Marcia Robiou (Whose Vote Counts) and reported by Robiou along with a team of current and former Star Tribune journalists, including Andy Mannix, Liz Navratil, Liz Sawyer, Chao Xiong and Jany, who also narrates the documentary. Police on Trial was produced in association with the Center for Asian American Media and is supported by The WNET Group’s Exploring Hate initiative.

...

NO, I said to myself. I will NOT watch this.

Much of the doc was about the trial. 

I did watch, though, and it was tough to watch. A relative of George Floyd - SAY HIS NAME - said at the Trial, Look at how polite he was, he respects the police, as Derek Chauvin, was choking him to death.

...

It is a lovely morning here in Willow Grove PA. Was anxious to start reading. After a breakfast of 2 eggs, slimy mushrooms, chopped red peppers, I prepared to sit out back on the deck. Too many bugs were attacking me so I sat out on Scott's bench. He had no idea I was there.


But now Scott has visited me. He too watched the documentary. All they needed to do was FIRE the bad cops and these horrific situations would not have occurred.

When the verdict against Chauvin was read, people in the street began cheering.

...

I may have said this before, but a couple years ago, there was some sort of brush fire out back, and a cop told me to move.

I did not.

Then he raised his voice - I was not used to this - and I moved ASAP.

...

Every day I ask sister Ellen about our "pets." This refers to the ANTS that have invaded our house.

Both of us agreed they were not too bad this morning. We use an "ant hotel" type of killer. 

...

I walked around the block early. Saw a topless man with tattoos all over his body. It was Bob, who had adopted a dog named LULU and was now training her.

Wasn't there a cartoon about Lulu I asked. We also agreed that it is Weds, but JUNE 1.


Started reading a new book last night.

I HAVE NO SECRETS by Penny Joelson. It's about disabled children who have been adopted by a man and a woman. Quite a load of characters. One knows who "the murderer" is who stabbed someone to death, but is unable to talk. 

Lots of tantrum throwing.

I am anxious to get back to reading this, not to mention AFTER DARK by Haruki Murakami. 

BTW, my sugar was fine when I woke up. 120.

I CANNOT WAIT TO DRIVE MY CAR.

Scott charged it yesterday and I have an appt at REMS AUTO for inspection. 

...

What shall I do for the rest of my life? I was born in December 1945 - did great work as a psychotherapist - but now, what is next?


Thanks Marie on Ball Road for these nasturtian seeds. 

HAVE I PUBLISHED MY ELEGY FOR COUSIN IRIS GOODMAN?

They were good people, my cousins,

Everyone loved Iris, Goodman, a woman

not expected to die.

We ask ourselves, Where do you go when you die?

Does the Lord await you

Enfold you in his golden arms

Same ones that met you at the Well

A millennium ago, or two.

Perhaps all we will get is a piece of

buttered matzoh with salt

do not forget the salt

I fear we will get nothing

nothing at all when we die.

Tell us, Judy Diaz, are you swinging on a star

while I look after your porcelain pot in my front yard

the remains of the dead.

...

I have a great story for us.

I am barefoot and one of my feet gets tangled up very badly in a cord on my carpet.

I roll over and over, the foot is killing me, and finally I come to a stop.

Do I say anything? Do I curse? It's all over now. I didn't even tell Ellen.

...

Our lawn mower man is now cutting the lawn. Ellen went to the bank to give him cash. 

His name is Bryan. They all have names. He has an Italian name.

I wanna look up a guy now who used to be in New Directions. Mucho problems. One piece of advice I gave him was Stay in touch with your son!

...

Yes he is still around. So is his former wife, who joined a "cult." They used to live in a gorgeous house in Jenkintown and many of us used to eat there. 





No comments:

Post a Comment