Tuesday, November 26, 2019

ARTS FEST - We all enjoyed the poetry of Rem Murphy - Nocturne 3 The Visitation - Autumn Poem


                           Nocturne 3
                       (The Visitation)

On the night of April 15th,
As everybody knows, that taxing time,

After an especially grueling day at work,
I dreamt I was in a hotel room,

Flat on my back,
Yet oddly, drifting off to sleep

With the lights off, and the air conditioner
Purring hypnotically,

When I heard what sounded like
My late wife, softly calling my name.

Fully awake now
In my dream, eyes wide open,

I saw a luminous mist
Drift in slowly through the curtains,

Coalescing into a smoky pillar
At the foot of my bed,

Becoming by degrees
The beautiful woman I loved, then lost,

Even more beautiful now,
The weight of the world

No longer on her shoulders,
Smiling like I never saw her smile,

Wearing a shimmering seafoam
Long spectral gown.

She didn’t slip beneath the covers,
Which she would’ve done

If still in the flesh.
Instead, she sat down on the bed

And all that night of the dream,
Pleasant, comforting visitation,

I felt a palpable physical touch
As she held my hand.

We used to vacation in Las Vegas,
And many a morning I’d wake up early,

And while she slept
Breathing placidly,

I’d wander into the lavish bathroom,
Take my constitutional,

And then I’d slip into the bathtub,
Enjoying a nice long soak,

While I did a little light reading,
Plato’s “Republic,”

Boccaccio’s “The Decameron,”
Or maybe even the Book of Revelation.

I‘ve never been what you could call
A connoisseur of darkness,

And though I’ve always admired
Wordsworth’s thrilling pre-dawn

Ascent of Mount Snowden
In the climax of his famous Prelude,

I’m not Romantic.
Just give me a little light

And let me wake up happy.
Dear God, in the words

Of that old Kristofferson song,
Help me make it through the night.
                          

<> <>     
                          Autumn Poem

It’s November now, that time of your life
When it’s customary to reflect.

If you’re anything like me,
You didn’t do anything right,

Yet somehow, all that suffering
Incredibly beside the point,

Everything seemed to turn out right.
You didn’t get the girl,

Or so you thought at the time,
But then you ended up with the girl

And lived happily ever after,
Until that fateful morning

When she collapsed, clutching her chest,
Alone in the bedroom.

You thought it was all over,
That your life, now that it was autumn,

Would be like the trees outside your window,
Totally drained of color.

But please, take notice,
When the sun sinks lower in the heaven

And the leaves do their natural thing,
What they’ve been designed to do,

Houses and buildings reemerge.
I can see my car in the cinder parking lot

On the other side of the woods,
And the brook, which I’ve heard

On stormy afternoons, raging all summer long,
Reappears in its ceaseless shimmering,

Gently purling along.
Yes, it was all worth it,

And yes, you can see that clearly now.
Life may be different these days,

But the water keeps flowing,
And it’s still the same old stream,

Whether you can see where it’s going,
Or not.




No comments:

Post a Comment