Friday, February 28, 2020

Tree Removal on our Street - Poem: The Corpulant Redwood Comes Down

 Liberty Tree Service. Spoke to Jorge, who got out of the truck. He said they were taking a Redwood down - related to the California redwoods - its roots, he said, were spreading down the street.

Jorge is from PR. I said I'd visited there many years ago. Went with Louisa Yurdin from Goddard I think.

I tasted my first mango there, I said. He talked about all the wonderful fruits including huge pineapples.

Also visited El Junque, I said. He'd never been there. He said people get lost in the forest.

Wish I could get a picture of Jorge. Ah, they were about to drive away.

Have a great day, Jorge!
 See the tree in front of Mike K's.

I take pics and then I wave in thanks at folks.

Scott and I had just come home from THE WILLOW INN. Great food. Marina was our waitress.
We each had fresh salmon with a delicious sauce on top, broccoli sauteed in garlic and olive oil, tasty rice, which surprised Scott, and I had hot coffee and rice pudding sans whipped cream.

HARRIET TUBMAN was a great film. I arrived early and sat in front as I know these mentally challenged people sit in the back and are very noisy. In fact one of them screamed toward the end of the film.

A woman behind me kept coffing.

I got up and moved. Not only did I not wanna catch her coff, but she was interrupting the film. I wore my driving glasses during the film so I could read the dialog, which is very helpful.

Gotta look up TUBMAN on the Internet. Again, excellent, but quite long.

Lead role played by Cynthia Erivo. Great acting but she was no beauty in the film. Here she is, 33 yo, of Nigerian origin. Long history of performing.

Cynthia Erivo


THE CORPULANT REDWOOD COMES DOWN, PIECE BY PIECE

On daily walks I would glance over at Mike's house
and admire their colossal tree. In the California Redwoods
your car could pass inside.

Trees! Oh, colossal trees, made for our need for shade, for beauty
and sitting neath the tree drinking cold lemonade in the summer
and imagining what this area looked like thousands of years ago
when we lived in hogans with smoke pouring from chimneys

The venison was lean and tasty, we smoked our peace pipes
and thought we had nothing to fear.

Nothing to fear.

How wrong we were.

No comments:

Post a Comment