Monday, December 9, 2019

Lunch next door - Taxes - and Watering my fleurs - Poem: Dark and Cold and Rainy


Born today in 63 B.C., young Octavian will grow up to be Augustus Caesar, the first Roman emperor. 

I subscribe to National Geographic but apparently they now want me to subscribe. Makes total sense.

Years ago when I was young and slender and heads turned when I walked - you wish! - I watched I CLAUDIUS on PBS.

The absolute best!

Did I tell you Scott and I watched THE IRISHMAN with de Niro playing a hit man. In the film he killed Jimmy Hoffa, took him out with a couple of shots, and got a nice chunka change for doing the job and doing it right.

No one really knows who did it or where Hoffa is buried, but he stole loads of the Teamsters' money and finally faced the consequences.

Summoning my brave self, I called my son Dan and asked to speak to his kids, Grace and Max. It's tough for kids to talk on the phone, but we stayed on for all of two minutes.

How do you like the rain, was my burning question.

I learned to italicize thoughts from my writing teacher Eva Berlin.

I haven't paid my taxes yet. My accountant LOST everything I sent in so I've gotta do the whole thing all over.

Letting myself in next door, I ate my salad while Jill gave Eileen some hot soup and a sandwich. Then we played GO FISH. Am gonna look up the directions off stage after this blog post.




DARK AND COLD AND RAINY

Stay inside in your warm pajamas
Listen for the tapping on the roof
as if you lived in a quonset hut
far away

Remember all the people
who love you, at least
twenty, and be glad
you sleep alone
in your bed.

BTW, quonset huts are available from Walmart and other stores. Max and Grace would love them!
       

No comments:

Post a Comment