Friday, April 12, 2019

Rain - Puzzle - Dead are youse - and so young!

The volocity of the rain seems to be increasing and decreasing as I sit on red couch. Am gonna go offstage for a moment to type and then I'll transfer everything back on here so I won't lose my award-winning words.

Every month I receive Alumni Notes from my alma mater Shaker Heights High School. A man I'd never heard of Bruce Lenahan died. But no one left an obit note. Here's what the newspaper had to say about him.

Bruce Lenahan, 64, of Marshfield, passed away on October 6, 2018. Bruce was a prodigious reader and analytical thinker, he was the go-to and answer man. There was no task too great, he faced and finished every challenge with the highest level of quality and commitment.

His humor was immense and easy to the last. He was strong minded, yet truly soft hearted. Bruce is survived by his brothers, William, Robert and Brian, and his sister Kathleen. Please join them on Friday, October 12, from 3 to 8 at Haddads Ocean Cafe, Marshfield.

In honor of Bruce's love of animals, particularly Chester, Koko and Sadie, donations will be accepted by the Scituate Animal Shelter. Funeral arrangements are under the care of the Bartlett Pear Funeral Home, 338 Court Street, Plymouth.

Published in The Patriot Ledger on Oct. 10, 2018.

* * *

Why am I wearing my shoes? Scuse me as I slip them off.

Shoes were one of the topics when I arrived early at the Hunt Valley Library to watch the film PUZZLE. I had done research on it to make sure it would be good.

The movie was slow-moving and a character study of a woman named Agnes. She was absolutely miserable except when she did jigsaw puzzles with gazillions of parts. She read an ad for a man who wanted a partner so they could enter the national contest.

They won. Her partner, an American-Indian named Robert - she had a fling with him - said she must buy a ticket to Brussels for the world championship - but in the end she left everything behind, including her son Ziggy, who wanted to go to school for culinary arts. We see her taking a train to Montreal, searching for happiness.

This is where I ask you, Dear Reader, three changes you would make in your life to find happiness.

* * *

My friend, "Clara," a wonderful poet told me some nasty things her fellow poets or admirers said about her. I told her these belong in an I B Singer book of short stories. I may try to write one for tomorrow's writing group.

***

I get cravings to go out to eat. What? And spend money? My roof cost $15,000, draining my bank account. I was so fixated on my roof I forgot to make an appt with the tax man. Larry can't see me until tax season is over!

Yes, I forgive myself. I also forgave Gramma Lily today for being so mean to me. She beat Little Me with a Yardstick.

* * *

Scott, my love, is very good to me. We drove to Home Depot where he bought items for his upstairs deck. He's also gonna fix the closet door in my bedroom. You can't open it since it sits right on the rug. The lavender carpet.

Did I tell you I had Mrs Calender's Pot Pie for Dinner? Since neither Scott nor I have a microwave, he heats it up in his toaster-oven. Delicious! With one Mission Fig for dessert. We slept thru the news.

* * *

Thother night I was mounting my stationery bike and I slipped. Bruised my shin which is all black and blue. Finally I remembered that when I get in bed - and it's high off the ground - I should get on via my butt.

* * *

Here's a poem:

ARRIVING EARLY AT THE LIBRARY FREE FILM

A hush of anticipation drew us movie goers together
Usually I'm late and tiptoe in
The things we talked about to fill the time
His daughter is a veterinarian in Portland Oregon
Earned her degree in Saint Kitts, as she couldn't
get in Stateside
I wanted to say, but didn't, it didn't fit it
That Portland had a terrible history of slavery
and debauchery
One woman's named was Sibyl, a most unusual name
The woman next to me was Loretta. I said, your shoes
look so comfortable, but you can't write down where
everybody bought their comfortable shoes, and let's face it,
if you don't wear the right kind of shoes, you'll get
what I call a Headache of the Feet.

The Head Librarian Sharon turned on the film, and
made sure we could all hear it, plus she put on
subtitles, though it was in English.

Make sure, I said to her, to tell people to turn off
their cell phones, and she did.

We all flowed into the film, forgot where we were
thrilled at Agnes making love to the puzzle partner
and were shocked and ever so pleased that she
chose a new home. She's at the train station
in Montreal.

***

Hi Margaret,

Before I saw you for my 'bad leg' I saw Larry Paster in Glenside.

Did you know him?

I was SHOCKED to learn he passed away.

He had an adorable dog he and his wife brought to the office.

Jack Daniel Springer Spaniel.

I think his name is Dooby.

Fondly,

Ruth Deming



One more thing.

Judy sent me a donation on PayPal, but my password didn't work.

When I came home from the movie - remember the name? - then eat more walnuts - I spoke to a fellow from Pay Pal and he fixed it for me.

Whew!

Listen, if you have any spare cash....

While at the movies, I left my backpack in the car. It contained my candy bar in case I got low.

Went into the library kitchen and found some crackers, which I stuffed in my pocket. When I got home I drowned them in a huge flower pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment