Brain researchers have known for years that people who are abused in childhood often suffer serious impairments, including a high risk of developing psychiatric disorders, from anxiety and depression to addiction and suicide. Yet they have been mystified by the fact that certain individuals who are maltreated, even severely, somehow show no adverse behavioral effects.

I was beaten with a belt by my dad, my grandmother beat me with a ruler, my mother had no idea how to be a good mom.

This was the dark side of my life as a child.

Uncle Marvin was good to me, I was smart and praised in school by teachers and the principal. I was good at sports and played tennis, volleyball, field hockey.

I played the piano with gusto.

Reading was and is my great passion.

Just finished



I also wrote! I kept a diary since third grade and never missed a day writing in it with my black pen.

Dad, whom I loved deeply, died of a brain tumor when he was 59.

We lived in Cleveland, Ohio.

He opened bank accounts for all of us kids at Women's Federal Savings. I babysat the Biskinds next door and put all my money in the bank account.

What a great feeling it was to have money.

I bought scads of movie magazines, drank chocolate cokes at Rexhall drug store, paid for by Jacob, who was in my class.

HOW I SURVIVED

I didn't do a thing
It was all done for me
By the brain that sprouts
like a peony bush
or lilac tree
and that's how
I made it.
Darwin's pet.

DID I MENTION my love of music. Let's give a hand for Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears!!!