Monday, November 28, 2022

AND THE MOON LOOKS ON AFTER THE DEATH OF A NOTORIOUS CHARACTER IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD

 Waxing Crescent: The Waxing Crescent is the second phase in the cycle of phases. This Moon phase occurs once a month, rising around 9 AM, and setting around 9 PM, sticking around for approximately 7.38 days before going into the First Quarter phase.

After I ate my second bowl of BABY LETTUCE, I looked up the phase of the moon.

I was friends with the father, Luke. Would walk or drive over with a pot of hot chili in my car. Afterward we would sit at his kitchen table and he would pour me a hot cup of Folger's Coffee from the coffeemaker.

Ah, that was nice.

Once he hugged me and I said, If you ever do that again, I'm not coming over.

I took a tour around his enormous house. He was the one who told me that the nun responsible for all those gorgeous figurines was really a man. Forget his name. YOU look it up.

Luke was getting a paunch so I made him walk for two houses, two whole houses. Then his caretaker called me up - was her name Valerie? - and told me Pops is dead.

NOW his second son is gone. First came Bill whose liver exploded. Today twas thother one, Bob. Or Bobby.

Once I was walking down the street and Bob called me, Ruthie, Baby. 

My name is Ruth, not Ruthie Baby.

Settled, mostly.

Remember the song, Hang down your head Tom Dooley, hang down your head and cry.

I met Toothless Pam while walking down the street. First tho I came across LEE, she of the two huge Grand Pyranees Dogs who told me BOB was dead. 

My head spun. Notorious or not, he was part of the neighborhood. You would see him walking with Lulu, the dog he found at the pound. He was a hard worker. First at Produce Junction and then at a brewery, where he could drink his fill.

I would often stop and ask him foolish questions. He would listen and offer an opinion. 

First there was Luke, his dad. Then his brother Bill whose liver exploded. I watched one day when the cops cuffed him after he passed out across the street and took him to jail.

Drama on our street but not like the original drama where a young teen was done away with. 

Bob died sitting up in his driveway, moaning, moaning, moaning. 





No comments:

Post a Comment