Monday, August 8, 2022

WE CELEBRATE MOM'S ONE HUNDREDTH BIRTHDAY, THO SHE IS NO LONGER HERE

 ODE TO THE RANDOM HOUSE DICTIONARY


Sister Ellen found you in the smelly depths of the basement

I greet you like a long lost friend

So quiet, so profound, embossed with

EX LIBRIS Bernice and Harold Greenwold

Gone forever from view, though remembered

each one, the folks who helped make us

who we are

as we chose to go through life our own way.

The dictionary, unlike us, has not weathered well

Asseumbled with the help of hundreds, if not thousands,

I admire the leather-like tabs that help with our search


In a book I am reading, I came across the phrase

au fait, in italics, and there it is - yes, by god!

it is there and means "expert"


As my late friend Carl Yeager, the artist, once said

What can I do with this? What can I do with this?


The answer, I'm afraid, is not within the 1930-plus pages

of the RANDOM HOUSE UNABRIDGED DICTIONARY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. 

WE HAD A NICE GATHERING FOR MOM'S BIRTHDAY PARTY.

I got up early and did my walk around the block before it got terribly hot. Right now it is 92 degrees.

Lynn arrived as I was sitting outside in the blazing sun eating my breakfast. Eggs, fresh strawberries on a bed of salad with mayo drizzled on top.

What a relief to go into the AC house. 

Scott was here and we thanked him for the great care he gives me. He insists I stay on my healthy diet which I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment