Thursday, August 18, 2022

A Japanese film made in 1926 by Kenjo Misoguchi

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_Elegy


Somewhere I read about this Japanese filmmaker and requested my library order it.

Ellen, my sister, is playing the film on her lap top for me. 

It comes from the Luddington Library in Bryn Mawr, PA.

The line from the actress was, "Oh, sukiyaka, I'd like some too."

The filmmaker did not like her delivery and made her do it over and over.

"We did it over and over for three days.

"He had me so frightened."

A beautiful Japanese woman with a big puff of black hair atop her head, she was afraid to do everything.


Soon I must crawl into bed and adjust my CPAP mask. 


H E L P

by Kenji Mizoguchi. Mizoguchi considered the film his first serious effort as a director, and it was also his first commercial and critical success in Japan. Osaka Elegy is often considered a companion piece to Mizoguchi's next film, Sisters of the Gion, which was released the same year and featured much the same cast and crew.

Although not among Mizoguchi's best-known works, Osaka Elegy continues to be acclaimed by critics.

No comments:

Post a Comment