Friday, December 9, 2022

VOICES - true story - published in Literary Yard

 Dear Ruth,

Please check the link:

https://literaryyard.com/2022/12/09/voices-2/

 

How are you doing? Please share you short bio as well.

 

Best,

Onkar

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Ruth Deming
Sent: 05 December 2022 19:42
To: onkar.sharma@outlook.com; onkar@literaryyard.com
Subject: Thank you, Onkar, for considering this true story! by Ruth Z Deming

 

VOICES

 

            When I awoke and removed the noisy CPAP machine from my nostrils, I remembered. Writing day! I peeked out my upstairs window. An enormously bright light grinned at me from the darkness across the street.

 

            The sun!

 

            When next I looked it was gone.

 

            Into the nearby bathroom I went and washed my hair. It took twenty minutes as I bent over the tub and scrubbed my hair with Head and Shoulders. When done I looked in the mirror and saw gobs of white hair hanging from the comb.

 

            Without missing a beat, I toweled myself off and ran outside, tossing the hair behind the mottled Akuba plant.

 

            Take that! Let the birds use it for a nest. What do I care?

 

Chrissie McVie was dead. Singer for Fleetwood Mac. Seventy-nine years old. Excruciating back pain. I knew what that was. I was operated on a dozen years ago. Got off the Tylenol with Percosets as soon as possible. The radio played her exciting song: You make lovin' fun! 

 

            Every bit of my clothing was wet from the shower. Ripping off each piece, I left the layers of shirts to dry on the floor of my bedroom.

 

            I put the Bradford Tea Kettle on and fixed my Chemex for “good to the last drop” Maxwell House Coffee.

 

            What was the matter with it? Cold. Stone-cold-dead like Chrissie McVie. Adding neighbor Patrick’s honey from his beehives, I tasted it again.

 

            Cold! Dammit.

 

            Chug! Chug! Chug!

 

            Oh no! The trash men were here already.

 

            In a single motion, like a ballerina, they easily lifted the Yellow Plastic Bin and slammed it to the ground.

 

            Jaws! Giant jaws! The drivers rode on the back wearing warm hats.

 

            Thank you for allowing me to see that. Perfect. Simply perfect.

 

            The rapist who lived on the next street and who gave me a cowboy hat he had found [was removed from his home and given a proper burial ]   we think. 

 

            Bob was not a nice person. When you read the archives note in The Inquirer you will see how he killed a young girl and felt no remorse.

 

            Bob died earlier in the week, walking his dog, Lulu. He sat down in his driveway and moaned. And moaned and moaned.

 

            The photo showed Bob, all right, his mustache going downward over his face. A face to avoid at all costs.

 

            Redemption? My dead friend Judy, whose planter is in my front yard, laughed and said, “Serves him right, the bastard!”

 

            Helene, whose poinsettia is doing well in my bay window, held onto her tummy and laughed. Words not necessary.

 

            There they are, gathered at the bus stop, at 7:30 am. The small kids first. Bob killed a young girl. Fourteen years old.

 

            My late friend Freda is a philosopher.

 

            “This, too, shall pass,” she says, wearing one of her colorful caftans.   

.......

AND NOW YOU MUST GO OUTSIDE - it is 8 48 pm, standard time, and look at the GORGEOUS MOON.

Waxing gibbous phase, meaning we passed the full moon. 


....

On AMAZON PRIME VIDEO, I am watching THE NIGHT SKY with the great actors Sissy Spacek and J K Simmons.

It is science fiction and has many plot twists. 

It is often very scary!!!

From the Internet!

Co-produced by Amazon Studios and Legendary Television, the eight-episode first season of Night Sky debuted May 20. Led by Oscar winners Sissy Spacek and J.K. Simmons, the sci-fi adventure ended with a shocking finale, leaving room for the possibility of another season.

The Night Sky pilot, “To the Stars,” is the latest installment of It Starts on the Page, Deadline’s annual series that highlights the scripts that serve as the creative backbones of the buzzy shows that will define the TV awards season. The scripts in our series are all being submitted for Emmy Awards consideration this year and have been selected by Deadline using criteria that includes critical acclaim, selecting from a wide range of networks and platforms and a mix of established and lesser-known shows.

Night Sky is created by Holden Miller and Daniel C. Connolly. Spacek and Simmons star as Irene and Franklin York, a married couple that discover a portal in their backyard that leads to a deserted planet. Their peaceful life is upended when a mysterious young man named Jude (Chai Hansen) suddenly appears by the portal.

Written by Miller and directed by Juan José Campanella, the series begins with a young Irene (Lily Cardone) and Franklin (Lowrey Brown) meeting for the first time in a bar. Fifty years later, in the present day, Franklin (Simmons) is preparing dinner for Irene (Spacek) and making idle conversation before Irene suggests they go to see the stars and the two head out to the shed in their backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment