Friday, December 30, 2022

Enjoyable meal at Daddypops in Hatboro Pa plus Farberware Knife

 Yep, Daddypops Diner is still there. Photo from Internet.

Earlier on Thursday, December 29, 2022, sister Ellen dropped me off at Eva Priestly's writing group at Warminster Library.

My fondest desire is to go out to eat afterward.

She agreed to go to the lengendary Daddypops.

They had changed a bit. You were now allowed to pay by CREDIT CARD, rathan straight cash. 

Fredda led us to a table. She was wearing a Jewish star. But then a Black gentleman came over and said, "I am your host now."

Important, for sure, to know.

He looked like a character in a cult movie, dressed all in black with a big gold cross dangling from his suit.

BUT I am confused. When did Ellen and I visit Allan Heller at Moreland Towers, the closest thing Hatboro has to a skyscraper.

We visited, said Ellen, just now, before Daddypops.

I am sipping right now on some lukewarm instant Nescafe. Geez, gonna warm it up one more time.

Two helpers are arriving this morning.

MaryKate first, and then Janie Black.

I had mentioned my left leg is killing me, so they will undoubtedly give me exercises.

Shit! I just sat down to continue blogging and stepped on a cup and saucer Martha had given me.

My coffee is nice n hot but fogs up my reading glasses.

Back to Daddypops. My friend Charlie from across the street used to eat there. He would sit in the chair that looked like a barber chair.

Very sad when he died!

That man knew how to train a dog... Pookie, half black lab, half retriever.

I went up to look at the cigarette machine. Old Gold, L&M, Unfiltered Camels like Uncle Marvin used to smoke, back in Cleveland.

I asked Fredda naively how I could buy a packet.

At the last minute I ordered a cup of coffee.

No way can you go to a diner and not have coffee.

Ellen ordered flapjacks with syrup, while I had two eggs on rye toast and a bowl of grits (boyfriend Curtis Branch in San Francisco, taught me how delicious they were), altho I said they are nutrtionally worthless, tho of course they are probably fortified.


Ellen and I had parked on a sidestreet. We then drove to our YMCA down the road a bit and did some walking, all that food bouncing around in my stomach.

I had not brought my insulin pen, tho when we got home, my sugar was only 250, not bad.

This morning I had a huge breakfast... two eggs, spring mix, tiny chopped purple onions, and finger-lickin stringy asparagus you could choke on.

Ken Smith, founder and owner of Daddypops, would arrive around 2 30 pm. The place closes at 2 pm, something I have always remembered.

Would he have remembered me? Full-bearded Simon and I frequently ate there.


The Farberware knife below was stuck fast in my front garden.

To get rid of it, I rolled it in papers and secured it with rubber bands.

Did it do the trick?

Hell no. 



No comments:

Post a Comment