Saturday, December 18, 2021

Lee Gutkind wrote folks a letter - here is my answer - scroll down

 Hello Lee!

I met you in 1998 when I won the Leeway Foundation Award for Best Emerging Artist.

Where were we?

Possibly at Barnes and Noble in Willow Grove PA

The Barnes and Noble is no longer there.

So much has changed, tragically.

DO keep writing and remember I will think of you often!

Are our fingers still intact?

Kinda, sorta.

Fondly, Ruth Z Deming


On 12/16/2021 10:59 AM, Lee Gutkind wrote:
Read the latest from Lee Gutkind, as he recounts academia's reluctant role in legitimizing creative nonfiction
Photo by Giammarco @giamboscaro from Unsplash.com
I'd Like to Thank the Academy

Dear Ruth,

If you have read my memoir My Last Eight-Thousand Days (2020) or my book of personal essays Forever Fat (2003), you know that I have spent much of my professional writing life in the academy. You would also know that academia has not always been the most welcoming space for writing and teaching creative nonfiction. So, you may be surprised to read my most recent essay, in which I explain why I think the genre owes its credibility and popularity today to the academy.

My essay appears online at Lit Hub and Creative Nonfiction, and in print in the most recent issue of Creative Nonfiction magazine, alongside many other talented creative nonfiction authors writing about interesting and little-known facets of the genre's long and circuitous history.

Wishing you an enjoyable holidays and a happy new year!

Sincerely,
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment