Friday, April 2, 2021

Your Blackness - a poem I knew I had to write

 



YOUR BLACKNESS 


Scott and I order groceries on INSTACART

We just discovered this service for lazy bones like us

Right on time, between 11:30 and noon, a car arrives

in front of my house, how excited I am for my fresh

groceries and the man who will tote it to my house


Daffodils are displayed on my front porch in a glass

jar that once belonged to my dead mother

Why not celebrate the renewal of our land 

at Easter time?


Howl go the winds

Monsieur, the Black Man

arrives from his hearse-like dark car

One arm is exposed

Black like chocolate cake

Black like a Woolworth countertop

Black so a master could whip him

and make him bleed


What shall I eat first?

Tiny Dove Chocolate Bites

no bigger than a quarter

We gave him a big gratuity

but the welts on his back

still show and some day

he's gotta explain all this

George Floyd and Trayvon Martin

and Brionna Taylor brutality

to his handsome children and

pray they don't die alone. 


....

I am drinking hot Earl Grey Tea with Patrick's honey

in my new coffee cup.

In a spontaneous moment I ordered the white and black cup

online.

A ? mark scrawls across it. 

?

And then the words

WTF is going on in the World? 

No comments:

Post a Comment